AVIC411.com

avic f90bt install question

hey im newwwwwwwww noob here and i was wondering if my stock nav antenna will work with this unit?? if so that would be great because i have to run one less wire. i have a 2004 lincoln lse. there was some talk about the stock nav units in my car may have been made by pioneer hence the question.

thanks all for your time

It's probably not that no one wants to answer your question, but more likely, no one can confirm it.

They'd need to have the same setup/situation as you do to let you know if it works or not. My guess is no, but could certainly be wrong. It would take looking at the wiring connector from you OEM unit and seeing how it matched up to the AVIC's.

I definitely wouldn't CUT any wires to make it work together as you may end up compromising your AVIC antenna by doing so.

Let us know if you get it sorted out. You may need to visit a professional installer or your dealer to find out for certain.

Cheers,

Kev

ya i figured, im not sure if it would either it would be nice to have it be compatible not only for the ease of installation but for the way the car looks. im not a fan of having the antenna on my dash or otherwise visible. i just ordered my avic today so i will have it in a few days. i will let everyone know what i find

thanks ,, by the way im a noob!!!!!!!

I put an AVIC in my wife's 2004 LS. I put the GPS antenna on the back deck, under the carpet, so it doesn't show. There was the perfect metal spot to mount it on, and the insulation from the carpeted trim was pre-cut to pull out a piece just a little bigger than the antenna. I think this is probably the stock location for the stock GPS antenna.

Please note that the stock antenna plugs into the nav unit in the trunk, so the cable on it will not be long enough to reach the AVIC in the dash. Just go with the AVIC's antenna.

I put an AVIC in my wife's 2004 LS. I put the GPS antenna on the back deck, under the carpet, so it doesn't show. There was the perfect metal spot to mount it on, and the insulation from the carpeted trim was pre-cut to pull out a piece just a little bigger than the antenna. I think this is probably the stock location for the stock GPS antenna.

Please note that the stock antenna plugs into the nav unit in the trunk, so the cable on it will not be long enough to reach the AVIC in the dash. Just go with the AVIC's antenna.

i was thinking that would be the case since the dvd drive is located there as well, thanks for the response. are you a member on LvC?

i was thinking that would be the case since the dvd drive is located there as well, thanks for the response. are you a member on LvC?

Yes, same handle there.

First, I'll volunteer some info you didn't ask. I have a 2006 with factory navigation, and the 2004 that I added the AVIC to. The AVIC has many features that the factory nav doesn't have, but overall I'm not too happy with it. Compared to the factory nav, it is slow, jerky, and unreliable. If they don't have an update for the bluetooth sound quality issues that it has, I will probably remove it. I wonder if an AVIC Z3 would solve those problems or not?

On to what you did ask about...

The LS /w nav has eight speakers and two subwoofers, all are amplified. You don't want to use any of the speaker outputs from the AVIC. Use the front, back, and subwoofer line outputs only. I don't know where you got your adapter harness, or even if you are using one. All that I have seen so far do not take into account the fact that everything is amplified with the nav setup. They provide the right connectors, but they are wired for speakers and not for the RCA's that you will need.

Two positive things that you get for having the factory nav is that the VSS wire is already coming to the big connector at the back of the headunit, and the accessory power feed is the delayed turn off one.

More you didn't ask for...

I found the best place to run the GPS antenna wire was in the factory wiring raceway under the carpet on the right side of the car. If you are going to be using a reverse camera, you can pick up the reverse signal lead at a connector behind the right rear trim over the package tray. It's the reverse wire that runs to the auto-dimming mirror. The trim over the package tray is actually not all that hard to remove to put the antenna in.

thank you for all of the help, if i understand correctly, i need to use the line outs which are rca's? im sure they will be labled correctly, i dont have the harness in hand as of yet but it came with the unit free, and i did add in the comments that it has the factory nav. im almost thinking professional help may be the best route but some installers wont install a product not by them and they will not warranty anything. hmmmmm. how is the rca's to connect to the harness/or the wires to actual speakers, sorry im so noobish