AVIC411.com

View PC on 900 screen?

I have an Aspire One netbook that I would like to be able to view on the 900 screen. I found a VGA 15 pin connector to a composite RCA connector. I tried it but it did not work. I turned on the second monitor in Win XP on the laptop, but no go. By using an adapter for the sound enabling me to connect my laptop to the red and white RCA connectors I am able to play my 80GB of music on the laptop thru the 900. It would be nice to be able to view the computer screen on the 900 for song selection, using the internet etc, without having to have the laptop open on the front seat. Any suggestions on something I may have missed. Has anyone run a carputer thru their 900?

Thanks,

Gerry

in any event you're going to have to use the laptop keyboard or some sort of "Jerry" rigged keyboard/mouse to control the laptop. You should be able to view the laptop output, but i think you have to have a convertor box to go from composite to rca. if you have an s-video plug then u could go from that to rca, it is basically the same signal.

The 15 pin VGA adapter actually has two outputs one is an s-video and the other is a yellow RCA connector. When I plugged the RCA output from the computer into the yellow RCA input on the 900 and cycled thru the ext 1 and 2 options, the screen never did show up. The music however did play thru the red and white audio inputs. I do have a wireless air mouse and keyboard I was planning on using as my input devices. Everything works, just need the video from the laptop to output to the 900.

I have an Aspire One netbook that I would like to be able to view on the 900 screen. I found a VGA 15 pin connector to a composite RCA connector. I tried it but it did not work. I turned on the second monitor in Win XP on the laptop, but no go. By using an adapter for the sound enabling me to connect my laptop to the red and white RCA connectors I am able to play my 80GB of music on the laptop thru the 900. It would be nice to be able to view the computer screen on the 900 for song selection, using the internet etc, without having to have the laptop open on the front seat. Any suggestions on something I may have missed. Has anyone run a carputer thru their 900?

Thanks,

Gerry

Yup...I did that. I'm surprised more people haven't tried this. It would give you access to as many gigs or music or videos as your HD will hold. It is a very small form factor. You can operate the laptop from the 900 screen using an air mouse and downsized wireless keyboard, it would give you internet either thru wi-fi, tethering your cell phone to the computer either thru bluetooth or hardwire, or a 3G wireless card like Sprint or Verizon. By connecting your carputer to your OBD connector you could monitor engine functions in real time, how about traffic cameras in real time. I guess I'm just surprised at the lack of response to the subject, it seems like a great marriage of technologies.