AVIC411.com

A funny thing happened to me Monday morning...

A good friend of mine (Brad, you know who you are) were having our normal morning debate while trying to get the coffee flowing. I happened to ask him, "If you were shopping for an indash NAV unit, what would you be looking for"? Now keep in mind, i'm no stranger to high end car audio, i've just been out of the loop for a few years. Well, after a lot of research on the web and a lot of lurking on AVIC411.com, it only took 4 days to make decision. I just placed on order for my AVIC-F90BT from 6AVE.com for $598 (found the coupon). Order the rear camera, Scosche dash kit, harness and PAC SW1-PS from Amazon. Should have it all next Thursday. Thanks to everyones posts. It made the decision that much easier.

I know what you mean. When I bought my Maxima a few years ago, I thought there was NO way I'd ever replace the craptacular Bose HU. It ended up breaking so I had no choice. I went to Maxima.org expecting to hear that I was screwed and had to have it installed by pros that would charge $500 etc. 2 weeks later I'd installed a new Pioneer HU myself.

Flash forward another year and here I am installing a Pioneer nav unit! I never thought I'd have an in dash nav HU, much less one for $375.00! It's forums like this that save the average Joe like me a Hell of a lot of money. Plus, and it might just be me, but I tend to appreciate something a lot more if I did it myself. I tell my friend's I installed my own HU and they think I'm crazy. :lol:

I got a f90bt for $429 after ebay coupon and live cashback

got a backup camera from china for $20

got a 500 watt alpine amp and 2 alpine subs for $80

got sir-pnr2 for $30

got the pac-swips for $40

install by a friend who owns a shop got all harnesses and wires and built the box Free

Grand total is $599. This would have cost $5000 five years ago

It probably would've been more. Technology's a great thing, it always leaves you wondering what'll be the next big thing...probably internet access to check your mail and such, and a playlist that uploads from your home computer and the option to download music right to your unit via iTunes or something. That'd be awesome.

It probably would've been more. Technology's a great thing, it always leaves you wondering what'll be the next big thing...probably internet access to check your mail and such, and a playlist that uploads from your home computer and the option to download music right to your unit via iTunes or something. That'd be awesome.

You can have all that already. I know I did with my CarPC. You can get pretty crazy with that stuff.

It's possible with Avic as it is a little PC too :wink:

Yeah but getting it right now requires building a carputer or hacking the F. I'm talking about it coming stock. I mean what else can you cram into a radio? They already have GPS nav, multimedia from multiple sources, gas prices, movie info, forcast, traffic info, bluetooth, SAT ready, voice commands, Hard drives, besides internet access and downloading straight to the radio I can't imagine any other breakthrough ideas. Maybe blu-ray player but that's not a huge leap in technological advances as far as aftermarket radios go.

Pretty crazy how fast things advance. Check out the future of car audio.

Internet connected is a great first step for next gen nav systems. But I don't think mercede's has a holy grail on their hands yet. You need internet connection for this to run, and considering that cell coverage doesn't exactly work everywhere due to terrain, cell tower locations, and coverage you could be left with out music, and navigation easily if you happened to be traveling through a tunnel, through the mountians, or other notoriously bad coverage areas.

They also need to work on the user interface, until I can quickly select "Korean Food" while waiting at a stop light and direct myself to the closest korean food location we are still not at an optimal user interface design. And in my opinion that's simply what both OEM & after market nav system developers seem to miss. They are so busy making sure you've got your parking break on in order to use the nav system that they haven't bothered to make it easy and quick to use even if the break is off.

• 3 weeks later...

Use an iPhone - headphone jack into audio in - use Symplify Media app to access your home computer's playlists - get your email - use Pandora.

Yeah not quite what you're talking about but not the bother of a carPC either... :)