AVIC411.com

Too many wires for Ford Mustang harness?

Hi all,

I've been trying to set up my avic-d3 for use in my 2002 mustang. I have the base sound system (thankfully), so am using the metra 70-1771 harness. I've been soldering the metra harness to the avic harness, and have run into a few issues:

1) There is a black/white wire on the metra harness that doesn't match up to anything on the avic harness. Where does it go?

2) The avic harness has one orange wire labeled illumination. The metra harness has both an orange wire and an orange/black wire. The labeling in the metra package naturally says that orange is for illumination, but doesn't have orange/black. However it does have orange/white, and says its for dimmer. That makes sense since the stock Ford radio dims with the dashboard control. Which one do I solder to the avic orange? If I leave the orange/black out, does the avic not dim when I turn my lights on?

So the issue is that there's only one wire left to solder on the avic (illumination), and three wires on the metra harness left.

To illustrate, here's a picture:

275036.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Connect the orange avic wire to the orange harness wire. Don't connect the orange/black wire of the harness to anything. Don't connect the black/white harness wire to anything. Those harnesses are made for many types of decks, not just for the avic, so sometimes there'll be left over wires.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...