AVIC411.com

Ok I'm tired of searching "GPS/XM antenna placement&quo

Ok yes I searched for quite a while but i was unable to locate an answer.

What I want to know is where everyone is placing their antenna's.

I just removed my Z1 from my jetta and I had both the antenna's placed in the dash on each side under a speaker cover. I had made a metal plate to go where the speaker goes and I placed the GPS and a tweeter in each.

Now I'm going to install this into an 02 Passat and there are no dash speaker covers.

I would rather not put them on the outer surface of the dash that would just be unsightly.

I've heard of people mounting them under the dash (inside) on a cross bar etc and have no problems with reception. I would like to do this but in the case that's not best I would like to know before hand.

Anyone have some input for me?

Thanks for your help.

Thank you sir will do.

I was thinking of putting them in the back window but I would rather not run them all the way back there if possible.

Also I don't time to do the full install right now so I was going to start running things like the GPS antenna's. and getting the XM tuner placed.

I'm waiting for the Pioneer cage to show up so I can mount the dang thing.

Yes, I know the metal plate, but not sure exactly what you are asking...

The GPS antenna MUST be mounted to something metal. If you attach the antenna to metal, you don't need it. If you attach the antenna to a plastic dash, or on top of a plastic heater vent, etc, then you need to use the metal plate. The metal plate actually strengthens the GPS signal.

Just putting it out there... That the GPS antenna does not seem to truly NEED the metal mounting surface...

I have mine just sitting(with intentions to fab up a metal plate) under my dash ATM... And it's accurate on the map... That's not to say that the signal strength couldn't be better...but it works just fine for my needs...

Just throwing it out there... like Garrett mentioned, you may want to exsperiment..

I have both of mine (xm and gps) sitting on the dash with double sided tape over in the corner on the passenger side right by the A pillar...looks tacky but works great. I wanted to hook my xm up to the factory sirius antenna but everyone told me I could not do it so I just used the one that came with the xm adapter kit.