AVIC411.com

Movies to Ipod

I am trying to convert dvd movies to 5th gen Ipod and not having good luck. I have tried cucusoft and it will convert directly from the dvd to a file format the ipod likes, but the resolution is 320 and looks ok on the ipod, but crap on the avic. I have tried dvd shrink and then combining the vob files and converting them with handbrake. This works ok, but the avic has issues playing it as one large file on the ipod. I get a title bar at the bottom and the clock doesn't go away. It take awhile (45+ seconds) for it to start. And there are no chapters, so if you have to restart, you have to scan through the movie to get back to where you were. My last effort is using dvd43 and using handbrake directly from the dvd. This takes only the movie and includes the chapter breaks, but I haven't completed a full transfer yet. I tried it and used mpeg4 conversion and it took about 45 mins. At the end I had a m4v file that plays on my pc, but itunes says it isn't compatible. So I go back and leave the file type in H.264 and the "compatible with 5g ipod" is checked but now it tells it will take almost 4 hours to convert a movie that isn't even 2 hrs long. There has to be a better way to do this. Anyone have a "how to" on converting movies that will look ok on the Avic when played on the ipod with chapter breaks?

Anyone have a solution to why the clock and title/track bar won't go away when playing a movie on a ipod?

Handbrake with the correct resolution and bitrate for my playback source (iPod or iPhone) works fine for me.

The F-Series really doesn't have the hardware to playback videos well, which is why a lot of people encounter problems. Really Pioneer should have either pulled video playback from the feature list, or upped the hardware specs.

Handbrake with the correct resolution and bitrate for my playback source (iPod or iPhone) works fine for me.

Care to share what setting you are using with handbrake? On average, how long should it take to convert a movie? I am using 720 resolution because that is what the source is. I am using 700 kbps for the frame rate (same as source) and it estimates over 3:45 hours to convert a 1:40 movie. I have presets to IPOD and ipod 5G support checked. File format is mp4. Codec is H.264.

720 is high resolution, so it's no surprise that it takes that long to encode a full length movie.

The F-Series has a QVGA screen (800x480), which is standard resolution. Anything higher than that will be lost, so there's no reason to encode that high. Honestly, I've experimented with a lot of different settings and found the presets work the best for iPod or iPhone/Touch use (select them from the tray that slides out to the right side).

From looking around I found that ipod 5g only supports up to 640x480 output. So, I limited my trials to this as a max resolution. It also limits the ability to fill the avic screen without some type of stretching. I made 2 files only using the first 2 chapters. I used the settings for apple ipod with m4v files. One I left at 320, the other at 640. The file set at 640 took twice as long to convert. The file converted at 320 plays quickly on the Avic and the overlays disappear after a few seconds. The picture quality is pretty lacking. The file that was converted at 640 doesn't look any better and has a difficult time starting and the overlays do not go away. I was also able to transfer the chapter breaks. The file name was displayed, but the chapter name just stated no info.

Other than low quality video, it can be done and the transfer takes about the same amount of time as the length of the movie. I would like better resolution if possible. I tried the setting for ipod legacy and used 640. The option for 5g ipod support was checked, but itunes did not like the file.

If anyone has had better luck, I'm interested in what you used. I am using handbrake 9.3