AVIC411.com

Navigation entry on D-series - SUCKS -

Hi - Is it just me, or is the destination search/entry remarkably irritating for the D-Series. (I have the D3 with the 08 east map ~burned...thanks for the download & burn instructions btw!)

I live in the Detroit area, and for example, this is how I have to search for an address: 1) Street Number; 2) Street Name - Now, this is where I start to get irritated. If I don't get the street name EXACTLY right, such as spelling, or Dr/St/Ave/Blvd...etc... then, it brings up a list of streets within the mid-west region. I then have to scroll through pages of street names, trying to find the right one, which then leads to the next step, of selecting the City.

It seems to take way longer to find addresses this way, than the traditional and much more common entry method of :State, City, Street, Number, which most of the stand-alone gps units use. Using those, I can find an address very quickly, plus it narrows down the choices way better when you go in the order of State, City, Street, number....

Am I the only one who's noticed this? And, is there anyway to change the entry method to make it faster & more traditional.

Now, I'm sure that since I haven't read the manual completely, I may have missed some directions, so please don't be too brutal in your responses if I've just missed something!! :wink:

Like CamelTowing said, I enter the city name first before I enter the street name. When you start typing the street name, there is a number in the upper right corner that tells you how many streets match the letters you have entered thus far. If you're not sure of the exact street spelling you can enter some of the letters, click OK when you've narrowed down to 20 streets or so, then pick the correct street from that list.

For additional assurance that I have the right address I sometimes use the map icon next to the address selection to get a map of its surroundings, which is handy if I have a general idea of the neighborhood it is located in.

Also, keep in mind that you can enter a middle part of a street name, for example if you could just enter LAWN instead of MAPLE LAWN DR and click OK and the search will pull it up as an option.

These tips help me enter street names very quickly, even when I can't get the spelling right.

As others have said, entering the city first will greatly increase your accuracy when it comes to finding the correct street within your area. If you leave off the Rd/St/Dr or whatever it will show you all in those city with ALL of the endings.

Good luck and enjoy your D3!

As others have said, entering the city first will greatly increase your accuracy when it comes to finding the correct street within your area. If you leave off the Rd/St/Dr or whatever it will show you all in those city with ALL of the endings.

Good luck and enjoy your D3!

Thanks everyone! My wife and I both feel stupid on this now! She has a D1 which uses the same entry method. We just assumed, since it has the street-name line first, that you had to enter it that way. We appreciate the replies.