AVIC411.com

I'm having trouble connecting my 250gb external hard drive to usb port. any time i connect the 900bt does not recognize its there but the light turns on, on the hard drive.. any ideas on how it would work, or why it doesnt work?

Is it a 1.8" drive or 2.5" (or bigger) drive? AVIC does not put out enough power to properly spin up larger drives. You need to use a secondary power source, if your drive takes one.

Also, make sure it is formatted as FAT32 and give AVIC some time to recognize it.

sometime the sys cannot recognize that big of a volume after all it is ce platform meaning compact edition for mobile devices with limited capabilities...if u would like to run something like that look at carputers...they are individually build using mb, chip, ram, HD, os etc and Io ports -- very neat...but time consuming and u have to have the niche for hacking and hardware installation but never less awesome results than you will be able to do it all even surf the net on the go with the help of clearwire a buddy of mine has it and it rocks

I would check the drive. Even if the unit can power the drive it wont see above a 32gb size drive. The drive must be formatted into FAT32 which has drive limitation size of 32gb. You will just need to create multiple partitions.

Huh? What? FAT32 can support 2TB volumes. I have a 320GB drive plugged in and it works just fine.

it is a toshiba 250gb external drive i bought it at circuit city doesnt tell me anything about the drive size i even looked it up online and still nothing but its 3'' wide x 5" long if that helps..

Probably a 2.5" then... Does it have a plug for secondary power source?

no it doesn't have a secondary source... i guess ill just have to go with a smaller hard drive or a flash drive..

Those should work. But it's not so much the capacity of the disk as the actual physical size. 1.8" disks are small enough that current AVIC puts out on USB calone an spin them up. 2.5" ones are too big....

i just use the usb wire thats coming from the unit. i was told that's all i needed.

Not quite... It should be enough for a "real" computer that puts out more power on USB port. As WD notes on their product page, if you are using it with something that has low-power USB, there is an optional cable to bring more power to the drive.