AVIC411.com

Brunt dvds wont play in my Z1

I dont know what I am doing wrong, but I am using this program called "cucusoft avi to dvd creator pro" to make playable dvds out of my avi files. The discs seem to play fine in my home dvd player but it wont play in the Z1. Does anyone have any ideas on what is going on? I dont have many legit dvds and it would really be great to watch something else. Maybe someone can recommend another program too.
When I create DVD's I use TMPGENC and either their DVD creator or IFO EDIT. TMPGEnc is the best anything to MPEG2 converter. Then their DVD author software is pretty good or IFOEDIT works too.

I haven't heard of the tool you are using. And I play a bunch of burned disks in the Z1. It could also be your brand. I use Riteks, Verbatim also work too.
Do you have the proper audio codecs installed on your PC for a quality convert? Use GSpot to detect what form of audio (mpg3, aac, etc) and video (divx, mpg1, mpg2, etc) is encoded. GSpot will also tell you if the right audio codec is installed. You might have a codec for a different stream that might be able to play the audio for you, but no properly function when re-encoding to MPG2 DVD's.

(GSpot is a free program. [url=http://www.headbands.com/gspot/]http://www.headbands.com/gspot/[/url])
Something else with TMPGEnc, you want to go into the options and the right tab wich is VSPXX something like that with letters. You want to find the "Direct Show" option and right click on it a few times and click on "increase priority" till it goes from -1 to +1 or something like that. Otherwise it will have issues opening some files even with a codec installed.
use DVD Shrink (free program.. search the net) to rip the dvd...

then use NERO to burn it... 100% of my burned dvds work..

ps: when it comes to buying blank dvds... you get what you pay for... spend the extra 10$ and get good ones.. it is worth it in the long run.. (this is from experience of 2000+ burnt dvds)
Yah, in my posts I have already stated what I use (program wise) to burn DVD's.

I guess you have to figure out what part of this problem you are having. DVD's are amazingly complicated things.

You can have:

1. Format incompatibilities between players (-R, +R, -RW, +RW),

2. Media incompatibilities (plays Riteks but not Verbatum or vise versa),

3. Content problems (if you are creating your own DVD and its not a valid vob file setup or the video is encoded at a wrong resolution or frame rate or whatever).

If you are just copying DVD's which I do to have in the car cause I don't want origianls in the car (scratching or theft or poor handling of any kind). Then #3 is taken care of. Usually a purchased dvd or copy of one is created correctly.

So your problem is #2 or #1. Like bdmpastx, I believe that -R usually play in about anything. Although since Dell put their weight behind the +R's more and more players will take that. My parrents Samsung DVD player will play +R's prefectly and -R's tend to skip and pause randomly. But -R's seem to work just fine in the Z1.

As for #2, I like Ritek and have for a zillion years (or 3-4 or whenever they started selling DVD blanks). I tend to get mine from [url=http://www.shop4tech.com]www.shop4tech.com[/url] they seemed to have a decent selection and free shipping. I have only tried Ritek (or now called Ridata) and Verbatum because since I have owned the Z1 the only disks I have to burn are those and they work really well for me. I would get the -R's.

If you are making a DVD out of an AVI file then #3 comes into play. You need to convert them to MPeg2 and then make a dvd out of them and I already covered those tools in post 2, generally it doesn't matter what program you use to burn the disk as long as the files you are burning are DVD complient. Also if you are using Nero, make sure you set up your new compliation as a DVD Video not a DVD Data disk, some players won't like the file settings on DVD data disk. That caused a problem with a buddy of mine and my old Duabrand walmart cheapo portable.