AVIC411.com

F-Series 3.0 update coming? Wondering what's in it...

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the 9110 pics it is definately not the current IGO version they use. Everything else looks the same as the F 900bt.

I stick to my expectations, if not, I'm sure the hackers will create an upgrade lol

Jörg

sadly :

Tal van hardware en software verbeteringen werden uitgevoerd aan de reeds performante systemen. Zo werd de behuizing en de draaitoets aangepast zodat het toestel bij ongevallen het risico op verwondingen minimaal maakt. Tevens werd de microfoon van de Bluetooth®-car kit verbeterd zodat hij discreet en tegelijk optimaal gemonteerd kan worden. Ook werd de geluidskwaliteit van de micro geoptimaliseerd.

Translates into (roughly):

Hardware (!) and Software improvements have been made to this already performing unit. Both casing and buttons have been inproved to reduce the risk at injuries during montage. Also a better Bluetooth carkit has been added with better microphone properties.

This unit also has the ability to interface (Radio and CD playback info)with the car's own info display, that's cool actually.

See for a while I was planning on getting the Alpine w505 but then I saw this forum (avic411) and I saw all the awesome hacks/mods that could be done with the F-Series in particular and I was amazed. I'm a hack and mod guy by nature (computer engineer by trade). I'm unaware of any Alpine modding/hacking community. The only thing is, I don't want to sacrifice functionality just because of the possibility of modding. At the same hand I don't want to sacrifice a good nav just for better iPod integration... why I can I find a unit that's like the best of both worlds? LOL

From the reviews I've read, the P1 nav unit for the W505 is garbage and the BT capabilities are laughable. :(

Now I'm stuck... do I go with better Nav and modding or better visual UI quality and iPod interface??? I'm going to try my best to wait for Pioneers fabled new product that is supposedly coming in a couple of weeks... All I know is I can't wait any longer than the 23rd of June... I'm getting an Head Unit by then one way or another. LOL

I don't think Pioneer is coming out with a new line... F9110 is only for VW as an option. The F700BT, F900BT and F90BT are the unit lineup for this year, they didn't even come out with any news during CES this year for a possible upgrade or replacement. I believe they might add to the line up and for all us that own a F-Series an update will be released. It doesn't make sense to RnD a new product line when their current line is not without issues that can be fixed with a firmware update. I could be wrong but from what I read about the D-Series they are rock solid but that wasn't the case when they were first introduced. The F-Series was a direct replacement of the D-Series so you can see Pioneer has some sort of plans to continue developing the F-Series... again I am sure next year they will come out with new F-Series. My F90BT has issues true, but for the money and features that it provides I can deal with most of them until the update is release this June-July.

How do we know that these issues can be fixed with a firmware/software update?

Because pretty much almost all complaints about F-series are for either bugs or design deficiencies in the software.

Because pretty much almost all complaints about F-series are for either bugs or design deficiencies in the software.

I don't know if we can be certain slow boot times and sluggish interface can be blamed on software. I hope it is the software, but there is no proof. Same goes for the bluetooth problems. I know for sure my ipod problems (one channel sound) was hardware...

I don't know if we can be certain slow boot times and sluggish interface can be blamed on software. I hope it is the software, but there is no proof. Same goes for the bluetooth problems. I know for sure my ipod problems (one channel sound) was hardware...

Navigation software can run quite happily on a smartphone with a significantly slower processor and less memory (and my phone runs more in the background than AVIC does) , so I doubt that hardware itself is to blame. Of course things like channels burning out are hardware, but those things happen with any device...

Map opening when receiving a bluetooth call? Software.

No direction-up on map? Software (limited to iGo version though).

Seeking radio instead of preset up/down from steering wheel controls? Software.

Annoying tone (without hacks) on button press? Software

Not recognizing changes in iPod for VR automatically? Software. At LEAST give it a single "Update Now" button instead of turn on, wait, turn off.

Using 1/2 the artist/genre/album screen for three buttons to choose a letter? WTF? give us a phone-style "three presses or less" pad:

ABC DEF GHI

JKL MNO PQR

STU VWX YZ#

Instead of up-to-14:

< A >

While we're fixing the iPod screen, how about making it if I push the album/artist, jump to that as if I'd gone through the album/artist screen for it. - Software.

How about a FM radio screen that is worth something? List of presets instead of having half the screen with one line on it? At least throw some eye candy to fill that space. - Software.

I can accept that it may never be super-snappy response, but there's no excuse for any of these.

The proof is in the pudding... meaning that if you look a Leetloader it boots and runs about 4 time as fast as the firmware and that is a hack/mod running on a SD card... yeah we can narrow it down to firmware.

The F-Series is basically just a small PC or Smart phone without the phone. It use firmware like a PC uses a driver for a printer or network card. Leetloader was written by one person and he is taking the time to make his mod work for everyone, why can't Pioneer get it right with a fleet of programmers? My guess is they will... but when?

Looking at the 9110 pics it is definately not the current IGO version they use. Everything else looks the same as the F 900bt.

I stick to my expectations, if not, I'm sure the hackers will create an upgrade lol

Jörg

sadly :

Tal van hardware en software verbeteringen werden uitgevoerd aan de reeds performante systemen. Zo werd de behuizing en de draaitoets aangepast zodat het toestel bij ongevallen het risico op verwondingen minimaal maakt. Tevens werd de microfoon van de Bluetooth®-car kit verbeterd zodat hij discreet en tegelijk optimaal gemonteerd kan worden. Ook werd de geluidskwaliteit van de micro geoptimaliseerd.

Translates into (roughly):

Hardware (!) and Software improvements have been made to this already performing unit. Both casing and buttons have been inproved to reduce the risk at injuries during montage. Also a better Bluetooth carkit has been added with better microphone properties.

This unit also has the ability to interface (Radio and CD playback info)with the car's own info display, that's cool actually.

Forget it! We have all been trapped in Pioneers misleading way of advertising before. I am German and able to read a little bit of Dutch as I have spend a lot of holidays in that country and it is not too different to German.

They talk about hardware improvements and mention buttons and the housing of the unit, if they had anything significant to say like " we added memory" or "a faster processor" they would have done. They don't give any details about the software improvements, so nothing special there as well. My hope for IGO 8.3 is just fading away :evil: . With regards to the Bluetooth the do NOT talk about an all new plug in, they just have a newly designed and in their opinion "optimized" microphone.

That's it and the ability to display FM Station and song titles in the car display is nothing special. If they were able to display the turn by turn Navi instructions it would start to become interesting.

Just how I read it

Jörg

I agree with gruvncubn, leetlauncher proves hat its all about software/firmware If I were leetcoder, I would sell it to pioneer and say here now fire your stupid programmers, get new ones, and get your head out of your ass!

I dont know leetcoder's experience, but I thought a big company like pioneer would go get the best of the best, well who knows maybe leetcoder is better then the best hes the bestest! Either way, its sad how one man created something better then pioneer even in BETA.

Brad :)

I agree with gruvncubn, leetlauncher proves hat its all about software/firmware If I were leetcoder, I would sell it to pioneer and say here now fire your stupid programmers, get new ones, and get your head out of your ass!

I dont know leetcoder's experience, but I thought a big company like pioneer would go get the best of the best, well who knows maybe leetcoder is better then the best hes the bestest! Either way, its sad how one man created something better then pioneer even in BETA.

Brad :)

The one thing that Leetcoder had that Pioneer didn't was this forum and it's feedback. I am telling you I am extremely amazed how well he put that together. If I was the head of Pioneer I would be reverse engineering the Leetloader... lol!

If you check the figure attached taken from the F9110BT press report you can conclude that this new unit uses different map (as it is capable to display sign post that is a new function of igo8.3.2).

[attachment=0]AVIC_F9110BT_map_large_H78.JPG[/attachment]

Therefore if we assume that all the F-Series has to work with the same software, it has to exist a firmware update and the change is so huge to call it 3.0XX.

Obviously it there are claims about other aspects I hope that this aspects will be also dealed.

Nevertheless I have the feeling that Pioneer is more responsive if you issue your problems in a Youtube video (remember that they report the 2.0 updates changes also on a youtube video) that can be seen worlwide (if someonle search F-900BT in youtube) that any complain in our fourm.