AVIC411.com

F-Series 3.0 update coming? Wondering what's in it...

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A guy in another thread downloaded the 2.7 EU update (he's from the UK) and reports that 2.7 broke testmode - so no more access to hacks for a while if 3.0 does the same. If this is true, I'm guessing all the nice hacks will be gone after 3.0 and no way to immediately get them back!

I may be keeping 2.0 if that's true.

That's what I figure. Why on earth would they do that (break testmode) though? Don't they know that if off the shelf were the only option (without the fixes of the GENIUSES here at Avic411), many of us wouldn't have bought the F-series to begin with.

PIONEER: hackability is key to sales until you guys can do a quality job on your own. Maybe the newly announced ones don't need help, but the F-Series sure does.

Don't they know that if off the shelf were the only option (without the fixes of the GENIUSES here at Avic411), many of us wouldn't have bought the F-series to begin with.

Agreed. The only reason I bought the (rather) flawed F90bt was for the updates this community could provide. Even so, I'm only using it as a $600 iPod player at the moment because the GPS function drives me nuts (using my Garmin 750, instead), the Bluetooth option hangs my Blackberry Curve 8330 (Verizon) about 10-20% of the time, and the overall system response is so slow I don't want to bother moving off the iPod screen if I can help it.

Listen up, Pioneer, either completely fix your products with this next release or, at the very least, leave us the option to do it ourselves.

A guy in another thread downloaded the 2.7 EU update (he's from the UK) and reports that 2.7 broke testmode - so no more access to hacks for a while if 3.0 does the same. If this is true, I'm guessing all the nice hacks will be gone after 3.0 and no way to immediately get them back!

I may be keeping 2.0 if that's true.

A possible end-run to that it is to pick and choose pieces out of the 3.0 version when it hits. I suspect the part that breaks test mode access is likely related to the OS, not the nav and other software, so it may be possible to update just the upgraded nav and audio against the current version of the OS code. There is obviously no way to tell until the someone gets access to that code.

A possible end-run to that it is to pick and choose pieces out of the 3.0 version when it hits. I suspect the part that breaks test mode access is likely related to the OS, not the nav and other software, so it may be possible to update just the upgraded nav and audio against the current version of the OS code. There is obviously no way to tell until the someone gets access to that code.

Good point. Maybe we can use the testmode 2.0 to dump all the 3.0 executables and data files onto a 2.0.

Here's to hoping.

The good part is, that version 3.0 will be available to test in audio shops all over the country, so it shouldn't be hard to do a side-by-side.

Since it is running a version of wince, I don't think testmode is really "broken", but modified.

My guess is that like going from xp to vista, it uses a different boottrack. So after 3.0 is out for a short time, the brilliant people here(leeder, boris, etc) will find a way to dump the new bootloader and create a new "testmode"

I bought the f900BT less then 3 months ago so I really hope that the update comes out soon to make it better. Version 2.0 was a great enhancement from what I have seen (youtube videos and tech reviews), but there is still a lot of fixes to be done. Did anyone say about the price range and if it does in fact change the maps from teleatlas? I can't wait to upgrade the programming if it is going to be the same or close to the new units programming.