AVIC411.com

F-Series 3.0 update coming? Wondering what's in it...

I dont WANT new maps and iGo 8.3. I could care less about it. I am bitching about having to pay 60 bucks to *maybe* fix a terrible unit!

Thats not bitching and moaning, thats expecting decent customer service. Not even decent... decent would have been to fix it long ago.

Paying 5 bucks for this fix is a rip off.

Since you don't need navigation, just sell it on eBay and buy a CD changer with iPod control. I'm sure there are tons of them on the market...

Instead of being an asshole, why don't you READ what he wrote?

He didn't say he doesn't want ANY maps, he said he didn't care if he got NEW maps. I don't either. What Fucking difference does it make? It's not like they're going to rip out all of the major highways and streets in any major cities and all of a sudden your maps won't be valid any more. LOL.

One of the things on the F-series that works just fine IS the maps. I've never had a problem, or gotten lost because of incorrect map data.

I just want the bugs fixed. We shouldn't have to pay a single penny for that.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except that the new firmware doesn't support the old maps, and the new maps aren't supported by the current firmware. Therefore the map and firmware update MUST go hand in hand. Why is this so difficult to understand?

And you know this how?

Oh, right. You're guessing. :roll:

Except that the new firmware doesn't support the old maps, and the new maps aren't supported by the current firmware. Therefore the map and firmware update MUST go hand in hand. Why is this so difficult to understand?

And you know this how?

Really? That's funny. I thought my answer was based on regular discussion about the differences between the maps for 8.0 and 8.3. Thanks for catching my mistake.

And you know this how?

yeah, if you kept up with the iGo 8.3 discussions (and also some of the map update disscussions) you will have seen that it has ALREADY been proven that the current maps WILL NOT WORK WITH iGo 8.3!

From what i have read in other threads here, THEY ARE GOING TO RELIEASE A FREE FIRMWARE UPDATE TO FIX THE ISSUES, but it wont look like the 3.0 one, it will look the same as we have now, just with bug fixes, if thats what all you want, then yes from what i have read that WILL BE FREE, its the 3.0 update w/ the maps that you will pay for w/ firmware updates that allow iGo 8.3 to work right in our units

I doubt a free Firmware update will enhance the performance the same way as the Map/Firmware update they are charging us for.

One central point is the update to IGO8.3 which is meant to be much sleeker and the main reason for the increased performance.

So from a free update I expect only minor bug fixes. Not fair to us Beta Testers, but that's how they will play it. It is up to us to decide if we will buy Pioneer Products again.

See you

Jörg

Thats true that it wont be the same as the 3.0 update BUT like has been said many time before, in order to use the iGo 8.3 that is the major part of the update you MUST have the updated maps to go with it b/c the older maps that are currently a part of the unit will not work. The maps are what the are charging for, It sucks, i know, BUT thats life. Pioneer does not get the license for free to give those maps out from the company that made those maps. This is a map-update, nothing more, and I have never seen a navi unit map update that you were NOT supposed to pay for, but the side issue is that you need iGo 8.3 to use these maps and the firmware HAD to be updated to use iGo 8.3. Pioneers has made the comment that they ARE putting out a FREE firmare update to the vurrent iGo that came with the unit to fix the issue we are having with it. Is it going to be as nice as the 3.0 update? who knows.... but if you just want the issue you are having fixed with the current set up (not something that REQUIRES the new maps) that will do it for you. I do not have any issue out of my unit that i cn't live with (my only issue is the slight delay/unresponsiveness ofthe touch screen but its not bad compaired to other touch screens that i have used, not as nearly good as my Palm Pre, but not the worst thing i ever used).

^^^Right

Im so sick of people bitching and complaining and for some reason thinking they are entitiled to get everything for free. You are paying for a map update and the license. You have to pay for a map update for any GPS system you buy. Stop bitching and deal with it. Its the way the world works. I too wish that everything in life was free and i didnt have to work a day for anything and everything was just handed to me as well. But its not going to happen because thats life. So stop whining and realize that youre not special and not gods gift to the earth and if you want something you need to pay for it. If you dont feel you should pay for it dont buy it and shut the hell up. Im sorry but im so sick of listening to everyone whine and complain. In the end you get nothing out of it. Grow up.

I don't give a shit about the Maps.

I just want the system firmware, and that should be FREE. Especially for a Head Unit that retailed for

$850.

I totally agree.

WOW...... this thread is definitely a lesson in differing opinions....

I purchased the $60 update, cant wait to get it....my concerns are as follows

will we still be able access WinCE

will the bypass (software/hardware combination in particular) still work

I hope that everyone can be made whole on this thread because there appears to be some serious issues with the upgrade cost. By the way, does anyone KNOW that the new firmware will work with the old maps....It may not and thus the combined upgrade (and cost). it seems we want to assume the the new firmware WILL work with the OLD maps as a justification for free firmware. It may be a corporate decision to move forward with the technical research.... i.e. the "new" maps and firmware. it would suck but may be true

My F500BT system works just fine with no bugs that limit functionality or use, though Some functionality improvements are welcomed. I am miffed at the issues I read here concerning the units, In fact, I wish my Z3 had some of the F features... oh crap..... sounds like a firmware upgrade....

I have many many times in my high tech existence had to pay for upgrades or even upgrade an entire gadget to get the best functionality. I admit frustration at times, but I get over it. Microsofts free firmware upgrades has made our wares soft :lol: ...... and god bless'm for it along with the many companies that function the same. I was a little pissed that I didnt get a firmware upgrade from windows 2000 to windows XP as I had only purchased a copy 2 months previous to the XP rollout - I got over that too.....

Hows this for an upgrade...mercedes wants me to buy a new car to get the best functionality out of its Navigation system.... they will no longer "upgrade the firmware" on a 4 yr old car (no issues, just not the newest functiionality)....... guess what, i wont pay a hundred thousand dollars for a firmware upgrade.... I got pissed and then got over it...

I am with you guys on the firmware frustration, but "whatayagunnado????"...... I am in for $60 + shipping :?

^^^Right

Im so sick of people bitching and complaining and for some reason thinking they are entitiled to get everything for free. You are paying for a map update and the license. You have to pay for a map update for any GPS system you buy. Stop bitching and deal with it. Its the way the world works. I too wish that everything in life was free and i didnt have to work a day for anything and everything was just handed to me as well. But its not going to happen because thats life. So stop whining and realize that youre not special and not gods gift to the earth and if you want something you need to pay for it. If you dont feel you should pay for it dont buy it and shut the hell up. Im sorry but im so sick of listening to everyone whine and complain. In the end you get nothing out of it. Grow up.

I don't give a shit about the Maps.

I just want the system firmware, and that should be FREE. Especially for a Head Unit that retailed for

$850.

I totally agree.

Dear nubs,

Read the rest of the subforum. The new firmware CANNOT support the old maps. The new maps WILL NOT run on the old firmware. They must be bundled together for this reason.

Dear nubs,

Read the rest of the subforum. The new firmware CANNOT support the old maps. The new maps WILL NOT run on the old firmware. They must be bundled together for this reason.

All, one other thing to consider. It's been proven that the iGo soft and the Pioneer soft are exchanging messages between each other at different times during bootup and operation. If certain messages are not exchanged correctly between the two the head unit will reboot itself because it believes something is broken. It may be a possibility that the new Pioneer firmware will expect an updated version of a certain message or even a different message altogether that the old iGo version either won't or can't send (it's like one of us English-speaking wanks trying to talk very broken Espanol to a Spanish speaking native). It may be received but misunderstood by the Pioneer soft. It's very likely that "old iGo + new Pioneer" is not a valid configuration because of this, it's not uncommon with new OS releases (look at MS or Apple for real-life examples).

Just some food for thought for the non-techies amongst us.

When I called Pioneer on Friday to order the new update, she told me it would be a few weeks before it would ship and said "Thank You"....I asked if she wanted my CC# and she said that the 3.0 update is free. I told her I wanted the update WITH maps and from what I understood it was $130 but on special for $60 - she said, "Oh, I thought you wanted the update only" and agreed that the price for update with maps would be $60.

So apparently there is an update that works without maps and it will be free...has anyone called Pioneer and asked for the 'free' 3.0 upgrade?

When I called Pioneer on Friday to order the new update, she told me it would be a few weeks before it would ship and said "Thank You"....I asked if she wanted my CC# and she said that the 3.0 update is free. I told her I wanted the update WITH maps and from what I understood it was $130 but on special for $60 - she said, "Oh, I thought you wanted the update only" and agreed that the price for update with maps would be $60.

So apparently there is an update that works without maps and it will be free...has anyone called Pioneer and asked for the 'free' 3.0 upgrade?

I just emailed them, I want something in writing. v.3 firmware should be a public download to begin with. If it fixes all the current bugs that I have, I will buy the map updates, otherwise I am probably selling this unit. I have been too forgiving of all its problems since day 1.

I just emailed them, I want something in writing. v.3 firmware should be a public download to begin with. If it fixes all the current bugs that I have, I will buy the map updates, otherwise I am probably selling this unit. I have been too forgiving of all its problems since day 1.

Did you hear back?

I doubt a free Firmware update will enhance the performance the same way as the Map/Firmware update they are charging us for.

One central point is the update to IGO8.3 which is meant to be much sleeker and the main reason for the increased performance.

So from a free update I expect only minor bug fixes. Not fair to us Beta Testers, but that's how they will play it. It is up to us to decide if we will buy Pioneer Products again.

See you

Jörg

Can we just post this on the front page?

/salute