AVIC411.com

Anybody have an F-series in their Audi A3?

Hi,

I am torn inbetween fitting the F-series into my Audi A3 sportback or retrofitting the factory Nav unit.

My concerns are mainly based around the way the unit will look in the car as in terms of price the Pioneer is roughly a third less, plus includes blue tooth & talk to text. Which would be very expensive retrofit for the OEM unit.

Any pics of this or the other Avic double din units would be appreciated greatly!

Cheers!!

~RS~

Hi,

I am torn inbetween fitting the F-series into my Audi A3 sportback or retrofitting the factory Nav unit.

My concerns are mainly based around the way the unit will look in the car as in terms of price the Pioneer is roughly a third less, plus includes blue tooth & talk to text. Which would be very expensive retrofit for the OEM unit.

Any pics of this or the other Avic double din units would be appreciated greatly!

Cheers!!

~RS~

It fits into A3 quite well (I'll need to take some pictures). No huge gaps or anything. You'll need to pay extra if you want steering wheel control integration (and good luck getting PAC to work)...

Hi,

Cheers!!

~RS~

I wanted to let u know u should look into connects2 adapters from the UK. they are plug and play & dont have to "teach" the IR The only bad part is they are only to be purchased from england. do a search on vwvortex or the audi fortitude site.

It fits into A3 quite well (I'll need to take some pictures). No huge gaps or anything. You'll need to pay extra if you want steering wheel control integration (and good luck getting PAC to work)...

i have one. pretty simple install, you need to the the double din cage conversion, if you're single din. YOu need the metra fascia kit. you need the pioneer double din cage install kit. you need Connects2 to get steering wheel controls to work. It also connects reverse, illumination, and vss. So far the only problem i have with my F90bt is that the navi thinks my house (only my house) is a couple house away from where it really is. the unit is slow, but not that slow. max 1 min for everything to connect including bluetooth.

Cheers guys!

I have a single DIN radio, so will require the single >> double DIN conversion. Not sure whether to try this myself or pay someone else to sort it...

Boris- Good of you to help... What's PAC? I'm a newb so excuse my ignorance...

vwboy- That's cool, I live in the UK! so can get these parts easily. Cheers for that mate. I don't have the steering wheel controls but may upgrade the wheel in the future.

jbg- Thanks for the list of things I will need. Can you tell me what you mena by this please "It also connects reverse, illumination, and vss."

Are you refering to reverse camera? What illumination are you talking of, and what's vss... again excuse my newb'ness :D

Look forward to those pics guys!!!

~RS~

Would have been easier if you had to 2009 model as that comes standard with double DIN. But as suggested here, there kits on the market to convert to double DIN and then, i guess, it would look like this. Sorry for the flash, only had my Ixus nearby to take a pic. If you want i can make some others so you can get a better perspective.

post-27126-12872757268622_thumb.jpg

Boris- Good of you to help... What's PAC? I'm a newb so excuse my ignorance...

PAC is a piece for CAN bus / steering wheel control integration, rather popular in US. In my experience, does not work well with Audis. Connects2 apparently works well, as does (German) Soundgate, which is much more expensive though.

Hi S4... unfortunately Scoshe do not seem to have anything suitable for the Audi A3. Cheers for the link all the same.

franknl, yeah I wish I had gone for the double din radio (symphony II) that way things would be less complex. BTW I can't see the picture...

Cheers Boris, I don't have the MFSW but may look at upgrading to it sooner or later. I will try connect2 when teh time is right. Thanks.

What ever happend to those pictures guys?! I was really looking forward to seeing the F-series in the A3.

Cheers!

Edit>> Pic popped up after I posted! :oops: looks nice in there mate... How do you think it would look if the surround around the unit was finished in that piano black that audi uses in the doors and around the gear stick...

Thanks

Thanks for that franknl, looks very slick. Nice install... Did you do it yourself? What kit did you use? What

The OEM Audi Satnav units are very good and integrate with the LCD display inbetween the dials. If you can get an OEM unit and Bluetooth connection to the car for a reasonable price, you should seriously consider that.

I have an F900bt, and although I like it, the factory fit Audi unit although not as full featured, is a better option once you take into account the boot time, etc....

K.

Nice install... Did you do it yourself? What kit did you use?

Sorry, don't think i can help you there. Car is a contract hire car. Had the unit installed by a professional dealer who also installed the cradle for my HTC Touch HD. Actually, I do think the unit has a lot of possibilities but until now it didn't really meet my expectations. It is kind of sluggish and the bluetooth is a drama. Coming from an Avic X1 it is kind of step down. I don't know, maybe I just need to get used to it.