AVIC411.com

required to purchase a data card with your f-series?

I'm a newby on this forum, just ordered an F700BT. I received an email from the vendor mentioning some issue with billing information so I called them back to confirm. While on the phone the vendor threatened to cancel my order if I didn't immediately add a 1GB SD card for $60 or a 2GB card for $90 which was supposedly "formatted and necessary to work"

Their price on the unit was competitive but he was very harsh and would not allow me to suspend or hold the order. I got the vibe he was trying to screw me with these bait and switch tactics and wanted to consult the experienced community here.

The vendor is cameragiants.com. They have a reputation for being pushy businessmen so I decided to let them cancel the order. Is this "data card" unique or can any SD card be used with software that is available for download? Is it even an SD card or is it some Pioneer propriety hardware?

I'm a newby on this forum, just ordered an F700BT. I received an email from the vendor mentioning some issue with billing information so I called them back to confirm. While on the phone the vendor threatened to cancel my order if I didn't immediately add a 1GB SD card for $60 or a 2GB card for $90 which was supposedly "formatted and necessary to work"

Their price on the unit was competitive but he was very harsh and would not allow me to suspend or hold the order. I got the vibe he was trying to screw me with these bait and switch tactics and wanted to consult the experienced community here.

The vendor is cameragiants.com. They have a reputation for being pushy businessmen so I decided to let them cancel the order. Is this "data card" unique or can any SD card be used with software that is available for download? Is it even an SD card or is it some Pioneer propriety hardware?

There is absolutely no card that it _necessary_ for the unit to work at all. They are crooks. Do not buy anything from them.

Now, if you want to put mods on the unit, you'd need an SD card, which you can get anywhere for about 1/10th of what these people want to charge you.

Yea, they are crooks. You have to beware a lot of camera supplier from NY and NJ area. They are notorious for being sketchy, pushy and threatening customers. It would be a good idea to watch you CC activity for a while just to make sure they didn't charge things on it.

No offense to fine people from NY and NJ areas :D

Thanks for the confirmation. I just re-ordered it from somebody else. It was the same price which leads me to believe this new vendor might try something like this as well. At least I now know for the next time.

You're welcome. I would use disposable card numbers with companies like that... and if they try to hit you for anything that is supposedly necessary for unit to work, cancel the order...

Hehe I didn't even mention that they were from NY/NJ but you are right. I had my gaurd up before making the call when I noticed they were not open Saturdays. Vendor 2 is also not open Saturdays. :roll: I was about to call my CC company but I hope the order cancellation email I got from vendor 1 would be sufficient.

No offense to fine people from NY and NJ areas :D

....Jerk :lol:

Yeah,you gotta watch out with those companies. Like BlackH said there's like 60 of them and they call you the next day asking to add an overpriced item to your cart. If you decline, likely you'll get an e-mail stating the item is on backorder. Bastards.

In one of the older threads here there's a topic about one company that's selling an SD card for $600. I posted the conversation I had with him, he said it's no different than a $20 one at Office Max and he felt there was nothing wrong with selling it for so much more. Buy from a reputable place, otherwise you may end up paying more than you would have.

no they are not from NJ they are from New York and it's the same shady company that goes by 60 names...

Interesting. I am slightly worried that I may have re-ordered from the same company under the disguise of a different website. I tried to confirm by comparing addresses but the one isn't posted but the phone numbers are different. I'll keep this forum posted in the unlikely event it's a good vendor at a good price.

...but the phone numbers are different.

That doesn't necessarilly mean anything. A while back I was shopping around for rims. I called one place and the rep wasn't helpful at all and had an attitude. I found another place, called them up, and it was the same rep with the response "Didn't you just call here?". 2 different numbers, 2 different names, same place.

If you're in doubt about a retailer, go to www.resellerratings.com and type the name of the company. You can see what experiences other people have had with them and this will help you make your decision.

I just bought from a place called Comp-U-Plus and their rating was good over the past year but not so good over the past month. Decided to take the gamble to see if it was another bait and switch company. We'll see.

If you're looking for a reputable on line dealer for the F700, I see that Newegg.com has the unit for $399. Not the cheapest but you get piece of mind with them.

Ordered mine through Amazon.com it shipped from Discount Jungle and came very fast. No problems with the unit at all and it had the 2.0 updated on it. Never pay for extra fast shipping unless it is overnight. You usually get it the same if it is 3-5 days or 2 weeks shipping.:)

Amazon.com is a GREAT place to order though as you get some protection from Amazon even though they are just the middle man.

The only thing I was mad about is two weeks after I ordered mine for $409 I seen it on Amazon for $348-ish. I emailed Amazon but they would not give me the difference :)