AVIC411.com

why can't I see who's playing on the radio???

basic 100$ radio's have this feature, where you can see what is playing on the radio, for example, if you got some song from foo fighters on the radio it will scrool saying

mix 96, foo fighters, xsong, album, year, wtv info!

how come this huge unit doesn't have that feature?

you'll find that ALOT of aftermarket headunits don't support the RDS features.

Its just not pioneer, or navigation units, it just seems to be a left out feature.

If you really want the radio text, you can always buy the GEX-P10 HD radio tuner which will show you text onto your screen.

Its just not pioneer, or navigation units, it just seems to be a left out feature.

If you really want the radio text, you can always buy the GEX-P10 HD radio tuner which will show you text onto your screen.

you beat me to it. i believe on amazon they are like 50 bucks now. they must be pushing to get stock of the 20

Will this provide RDS for non HD station too? I only have 2 local HD stations, so never considered this unit, but if it adds RDS for standard FM stations, it might be worth adding if the price is right.

Will this provide RDS for non HD station too? I only have 2 local HD stations, so never considered this unit, but if it adds RDS for standard FM stations, it might be worth adding if the price is right.

Yes, HD receiver does RDS for analog broadcasts as well.

Yes, HD receiver does RDS for analog broadcasts as well.

wait... so what you are saying is:

connect this HD tuner to the AVIC, and have RDS displayed on regular FM stations?

:shock:

If that is the case, it would mean I can receive European RDS (which about every EU station has) on my US model?

If that is the case, it would mean I can receive European RDS (which about every EU station has) on my US model?

I wouldn't bet on it... While it does also receive regular analog broadcasts, I think it is still limited to US tuning step. I'll need to get to the car and double-check...

Also, it won't do TMC...

Yeah well... the TMC...

You know... It is a nice thing. And The Netherlands have very decent TMC coverage. The thing is... we are SO packed in this tiny country. When 1 accident occurs, all 4 million connecting roads clogg within 10 minutes.

TMC immediately picks this up but there is one problem:

All alternative routes won't work either. And if there are any, it is usually NOT faster than just keep in cue for 15 minutes.

In the end all te rerouting and recalculating with no result is just annoying and frustrates you even more.

The RDS however is something I really miss here. (EU model HAS RDS, US don't)

It reads the weather report, songs playing, station names and most important. Where are the mobile gatsos and laserguns today!?!?!?

Regardless if it'll tune even frequencies, still a must have to me!

Yeah well... the TMC...

You know... It is a nice thing. And The Netherlands have very decent TMC coverage. The thing is... we are SO packed in this tiny country. When 1 accident occurs, all 4 million connecting roads clogg within 10 minutes.

TMC immediately picks this up but there is one problem:

All alternative routes won't work either. And if there are any, it is usually NOT faster than just keep in cue for 15 minutes.

In the end all te rerouting and recalculating with no result is just annoying and frustrates you even more.

The RDS however is something I really miss here. (EU model HAS RDS, US don't)

It reads the weather report, songs playing, station names and most important. Where are the mobile gatsos and laserguns today!?!?!?

Regardless if it'll tune even frequencies, still a must have to me!

I see. I do not think that US version does all these fancy RDS things, at leats i have never seen it showing anything beyond station name/ song title. But this might be simply because RDS never went very far in the US...

I'll check tuning steps when I get to the car...

I can't hardly wait for Boris to get out of his car :D

Sorry, it only tunes to odd frequencies... Which really isn't all that surprising, as HD Radio, unlike DAB, is a US-only "standard".