AVIC411.com

Switching from F90BT to Avic-D3, questions.

No, it does it through the one cable. You just cant control the video with it.

huh...thats really weird because the f90bt requires you to connect those audio/video cables as well.

when i bought the f90bt, i thought it wud be what every D-series had, plus the best of the best in F-series. yet this is one of the WORST navis ever made by pioneer. only 40% of the functions work properly 100% of the time. the rest chooses when it should work

Yup,

But I like to eject my disc when I'm not using the navigation. The D3 works faster with the Nav disc ejected and for some reason, my D3 reboots sometimes with the disc inserted and I lose my wallpaper. It's rare, but it never happens when the disc isn't in there.

Curious, are you using the original DVD? I had the same issue of rebooting, but only when I had a

"copy" of the DVD in there. I like to keep the originals safe at home.

I used a HP brand disc first, and it would reboot if it was hot in the car and I hit a decent bump.

This happened every day, but stopped when I switched to a Verbatim brand disc. The HP disc

worked fine otherwise, but the hot temperature of the car must have altered the disc some how

(warpage, or dye). It never rebooted on the way to work, but on the way home it did. Texas heat in the summer!

Yup, I had a copy in there too. I used a Memorex DL Disc and I think that it is the heat as well that affects the disc in some way. I guess I'll look for a some Verbatim DL discs. Thanks for the advice.

No, it does it through the one cable. You just cant control the video with it.

huh...thats really weird because the f90bt requires you to connect those audio/video cables as well.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Pioneer had to find a way to make newer generation iPods work on the F-series as Apple put in new restrictions on their iPods that would not allow function if it wasn't an Apple certified product. Their solution was all those extra cables I guess.

With the D3, if you have a 5.5 gen iPod or older, the D3 will work great with it. There are workarounds with the newer iPods, but I can't say for sure if they work well.

regarding the D3 and how you have to load the map, i had a very important question about it.

so if i don't have the disc inside, and cruise around town, will my gps/map go blank? or what?

and vice versa, if i do have the disc in, can i just cruise around without loadin times? i mean, without any route, just driving around

I think I answered that in my first post. When you start the D3 for the first time and have a good satellite signal. The D3 will locate you and start cacheing your surroundings on the onboard memory. Once that is done, you can eject the disc and the D3 will track you and will use the information in memory to display details i.e. street names and side streets.

If you drive out of the stored memory, the D3 will just zoom out the map, displaying less details. The D3 will always track you as long as there is a satellite signal.

oh i see....but yeah i had the same problem with the D1, the POI never sorted them by distance, but simply put them as a list. i didn't like that n in a way its stupid.

however, how is the bluetooth? are there any problems? is the quality bad/good? does it mess up or freeze the actual D3??

My Bluetooth on my D3 is the best, most consistant BT I have ever seen in any vehicle. It is way better than my wife factory Acura and many others I have seen. Very reliable and NEVER glichy.

hey thomaskohl,

regarding the d3 and bt, do you think that is cuz the d3 has an actual external unit for it? i have a blackberry curve, and mine on the f90bt sucks. keeps freezing up and not playing the music after the call, and i can't make one call after another, i gotta wait like 20-40 seconds in between

I think... and I'm not the expert here but I think it's because the D3 uses a hardware BT unit and the F90 uses software. Have you noticed that the volume control on the F90 is a touch screen and the D3 uses the actual vloume knob (like it should be).