AVIC411.com

Switching from F90BT to Avic-D3, questions.

Ok, so now that I had the avic-d1, but switched to the f90bt, im really upset with the f90bt and want the D-series again, but before I commit, i had a few questions.

1.) Does the D3 basically have everything the D1 has, plus the bluetooth capability and the ipod full use capability?

2.) Does the D3 have a "fly-mode" gps setting where if the car gets off the map (like on a parking lot) the car symbol won't just spin really stupid like it does on the f90bt but instead will be flying over the gray/non-road area?? This is important to me because the f90bt constantly wants to put me on a road instead the parking lot/shopping center im in, and if not, it just spins in circles real stupid.

3.) Other than the bluetooth and full ipod use capabilities (if there), what are the MAIN difference between the D1 to D3? and the D3 to F90BT (other than the voice control)

4.) Does the D3 have a gyro sensor? and how does the D3 work, do you put the DVD-map in, to load the route and then remove it?? or how exactly does it work?

Please, if anyone could answer all or some questions I would really appreciate it because I am very frustrated with my F90BT. thank you!

Can't answer the differences between the D1 and D3 as I've never owned the D1, but:

2.) Yes, the arrow will keep pointing in the direction that you are headed, even when you not on a street and in a parking lot/structure.

4.) Even tho the D3 is dvd based navigation, there is a small amount of memory in the unit. Once you start the D3 for the first time, it will locate you and start cacheing the area you are in. You can take the Nav Disk out, and still have the D3 track your location, but depending on how much the D3 cached it will start zooming out the map with less street details.

Any type of navigation search will require you to put the Nav Disc back into the D3, once the route is saved (which does take a few minutes) the Nav disc can be ejected, but stray too far from the route, or if you want to add a waypoint, and the Nav disc will need to be re-inserted.

Also, the D3 requires a seperate module for Bluetooth and cable for iPod.

Yup,

But I like to eject my disc when I'm not using the navigation. The D3 works faster with the Nav disc ejected and for some reason, my D3 reboots sometimes with the disc inserted and I lose my wallpaper. It's rare, but it never happens when the disc isn't in there.

thank you knight....i really appreciate you feedback a lot.

if you don't mind, could you just state a few points about the D3 that you really like and a few points you really hate or bother you about the D3.

i just gotta be certain to get rid of the f90bt and go with the d3, and i don't wanna get it, and then regret it and realize i made an even bigger mistake.

thank you so much!

the only thing that keeps me from switching from the f90bt to the D3 is that i don't know the D3 at all and the problems it has. if someone could tell me what the major/known problems are, that would be great.

also, does the D3 have FULL ipod compatibility like the f90bt does? meaning can i fully control it on the actual unit?

Yup,

But I like to eject my disc when I'm not using the navigation. The D3 works faster with the Nav disc ejected and for some reason, my D3 reboots sometimes with the disc inserted and I lose my wallpaper. It's rare, but it never happens when the disc isn't in there.

Curious, are you using the original DVD? I had the same issue of rebooting, but only when I had a

"copy" of the DVD in there. I like to keep the originals safe at home.

I used a HP brand disc first, and it would reboot if it was hot in the car and I hit a decent bump.

This happened every day, but stopped when I switched to a Verbatim brand disc. The HP disc

worked fine otherwise, but the hot temperature of the car must have altered the disc some how

(warpage, or dye). It never rebooted on the way to work, but on the way home it did. Texas heat in the summer!

the only thing that keeps me from switching from the f90bt to the D3 is that i don't know the D3 at all and the problems it has. if someone could tell me what the major/known problems are, that would be great.

also, does the D3 have FULL ipod compatibility like the f90bt does? meaning can i fully control it on the actual unit?

You have full control of the iPod's music functions. You have to select videos on the iPod itself.

I would say the only major problem of the D3 is that when you do a POI search, the results are not sorted by distance to your current location. So for example, if I searched for "McDonalds," it will bring up results that are thousands of miles away instead of ones that are nearby.

oh i see....but yeah i had the same problem with the D1, the POI never sorted them by distance, but simply put them as a list. i didn't like that n in a way its stupid.

however, how is the bluetooth? are there any problems? is the quality bad/good? does it mess up or freeze the actual D3??