AVIC411.com

possibility to transfer contacts to d3 with iphone... soon?

• 2 weeks later...

i'm a member of the iphone developer program so i got a chance to check out the beta version of the iphone os 3.0. since the new bluetooth profile in 3.0 is a2dp, i figured i would try to get it to stream audio through my AVIC-D3. i tried it earlier today, and couldn't get it to connect. it would connect for the bluetooth phone function, but not for bluetooth audio. i have not tried the contacts transfer yet, i will try that in a bit though. hopefully that will go through, that has been the main fault for me between the iphone and the d3.

A2DP only will allow streaming music from the phone to the D3 via bluetooth. It has nothing to do with contacts.

For phone book transfer you want:

Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP, PBA[1])

This profile allows exchange of Phone Book Objects between devices. It is likely to be used between a car kit and a mobile phone to allow the car kit to display the name of the incoming caller.

right, the A2DP is for the audio only, though it doesn't seem to be working with the first beta of iPhone OS 3.0. the second beta came out yesterday, will install and test tonight.

as far as the contacts being transferred....when you go to the option on the D3, it basically puts itself into "listen" mode. the iPhone still doesn't have a way to "transmit" the contacts. there's no item in the menus to push the contacts to the listening d3...at least not that i found.

Just a tip, iPhone OS Beta 1 did NOT include A2DP technology. The Beta 2 OS released Monday this week DID! Right now I am currently deployed to Iraq and cant test in my car, I cant wait to get back and have bluetooth streaming! Now if contact transfer would work, the iPhone would be the perfect phone for the AVIC systems!

Here is a video in action. (not on an AVIC device, but a stereo bluetooth stereo)

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/04/02/streaming-iphone-via-bluetooth-in-the-car/

when i first went out to my car, it looked like the BT-audio function found my iphone, but none of the controls worked. it had the wrong bluetooth type highlighted on the bottom. it wasn't a2dp, so that was probably why it wasn't working. i then tried to disconnect bluetooth and reconnect, but it didn't find it again. i even went and deleted my phone connection and tried again, no luck. when i have some more time i will try to mess with it some more.

• 3 months later...
A2DP only will allow streaming music from the phone to the D3 via bluetooth. It has nothing to do with contacts.

For phone book transfer you want:

Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP, PBA[1])

This profile allows exchange of Phone Book Objects between devices. It is likely to be used between a car kit and a mobile phone to allow the car kit to display the name of the incoming caller.

Actually, Stigy, not quite correct. The Bluetooth Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP) allows a head unit to go into a cell phone and PULL the entire phone book from it. Unfortunately, the D3 (with a BTB200 Bluetooth unit) does NOT support PBAP at all...period.

So, to get phone book contacts INTO a D3 with Bluetooth, one needs a cell phone that supports the Bluetooth Object Push Profile (OPP) and OBEX protocols. It's THESE two Bluetooth profiles/protocols that allow a cell phone to PUSH phone book contacts TO the D3 with Bluetooth.

By the way, neither the iPhone nor the new Palm Pre currently support OPP or OBEX. Therefore, neither of these cutting-edge phones can get phone book contacts into the D3. If only Pioneer had made the BTB200 unit able to PULL contacts -- or be update-able with new Bluetooth software!