AVIC411.com

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have TV in my old truck, the unit came with 2 window wire antennas. (they stuck along the side of the windows). BUT they got MUCH better reception when mounted to the metal roof of the car in the headliner area. MOST antenna do better if mounted to metal objects b/c of the "ground plane" that it creates. The normal radio antenna should NOT be used b/c its not tuned to the feq. that TV need (its not just an impedance issue, having the antenna the right length so thats it picks up the channels wave at the right point is important) and will get bad reception. The Bigger is always better thing does not always apply to antenna's, unless its tuned, antenna should always be at 1/4 intervals in the wavelength. so a feq that has a 2 meter wavelength would have antennas at .5meters, 1meters 1.5 meter or 2 meters long to get best reception (and transmission in 2 way radios). This also include the antenna wires, Thats why when you install some car audio parts that require you extend your radio antenna wire they tell you not to cut the extension to fit b/c it will mess up the tuning.

edit: this all comes from being a HAM radio operator for 12years, working in a 2 way radio shop as an installer for 2 years and also being a nightclub/theatrical sound and lighting system designer/installer/tech for 15 years.

I used to have TV in my old truck, the unit came with 2 window wire antennas. (they stuck along the side of the windows). BUT they got MUCH better reception when mounted to the metal roof of the car in the headliner area. MOST antenna do better if mounted to metal objects b/c of the "ground plane" that it creates. The normal radio antenna should NOT be used b/c its not tuned to the feq. that TV need (its not just an impedance issue, having the antenna the right length so thats it picks up the channels wave at the right point is important) and will get bad reception. The Bigger is always better thing does not always apply to antenna's, unless its tuned, antenna should always be at 1/4 intervals in the wavelength. so a feq that has a 2 meter wavelength would have antennas at .5meters, 1meters 1.5 meter or 2 meters long to get best reception (and transmission in 2 way radios). This also include the antenna wires, Thats why when you install some car audio parts that require you extend your radio antenna wire they tell you not to cut the extension to fit b/c it will mess up the tuning.

edit: this all comes from being a HAM radio operator for 12years, working in a 2 way radio shop as an installer for 2 years and also being a nightclub/theatrical sound and lighting system designer/installer/tech for 15 years.

so for the headliner antenna's you would need to make sure there was metal to metal contact? a

also do you know where one might purchase simple wire antennas?

Thanks for the suggestion. I just went out to walmart and bought an inverter(100 watt) that has an outlet for AC, usb, and DC from the clearance aisle. It was $20 and a little more versatile for a few extra bucks. I wanted a more stealth intall without the lighter plug, but it's not like I will be using it rolling down the road.

As far as antenna goes, I bought the flat "bat wing" looking one from walmart and it works fine. I live in a rural area and the nearest station is 30 miles away (PBS). It picks up fine. Any other stations are 60 miles away and I didn't expect to pick them up. I do visit more civilized areas on weekends and figure it will come in handy when the wife is in the mall.

Another subject to discuss on this is how long can I safely run my head unit/TV converter w/o running the battery down while parked?

I just received my ARTEC and am interested in hard wiring to my vehicle. Any idea if a regulated power supply is needed or can this be wired directly to vehicle wiring. The included power supply is 12v @ .5 amps wall AC adapter. Thinking.......chop off wall plug and splice into car wiring. I am assuming a variance of 12-14v with car wiring, so am wondering if I can do this. Thanks for your help.

Buy another plug from radio shack with the wire. Just cut the other end off and split the wire. Look for the positive tip wire. Add a glass fuse holder to that wire and connected to a power source when the ignition is on. The other goes to ground. Use a multi tester set it at ohms connect it to the tip of the plug and check both wires. When the meter moves you found your positive lead. Or a test light. same method

so, do you have to do a new channel scan everytime you start the car?

In NYC all the transmitters are all pretty much in the same area. So I drove 5 miles away looking at the sky line and did a scan. Loaded up all the digital channels and that was it. If yo plan on driving out of the area and you dont pick anything up than yes do another scan. But im guessing all the stations probably use the same frequencies.

I applied for the coupon a while back and got it about the second week in April, I 've just yet to be on and comment on it.

The converter box I got was the Artec T3AP. It does not require a power inverter. I plugged the AC adapter into the wall and used a multimeter to determine which wire was positive and which one was negative. Since the AC adapter's output was 12 volts, I figured I could rig something up. I found that the wire with the white markings on it was the ground, and the plain black was the positive. I cut the AC adapter off and spliced the plain black wire into the cigarette lighter wire, and then grounded out the white wire. Everything is working fine too! Well for the converter box anyway. I put an HD Antennae in the trunk of my car and ran the coax wire from the back of antennae down the passenger side of the car under the trim, and then to my converter box which I secured discreetly to the underside of the passenger side of the dash, under the glove box. The antennae is powered off a 12 volt AC adapter as well, so I did the same trick I did above and ran some wiring for the antennae. When the power of the antennae is turned off, the reception sucks, the powered way is definitely the road to take.

However, I still can't figure out a way to get reception while I'm driving. It works perfectly if I'm stopped at a stop sign, sitting in my driveway, or even out in the Boonies camping and trying to track the big storm. So if you're planning on only using this when you aren't moving, such as tailgating, I would definitely go for it. If you expect to be able to drive and watch TV at the same time, as of right now I would say forget about it.

If someone finds an antennae that works while moving, please let me know, otherwise I guess this is where we sit as of now. Maybe we'll have better luck after everything goes digital?