AVIC411.com

I've discovered another way to get Live TV on the AVIC, and it only costs $10 IF you already have

1. An iphone with data plan, and the AV cable for your AVIC

2. A computer with a TV Tuner

If you have these things, you can use a program called ORBlive to stream Live TV, as well as any movie files and music on your computer, to the iphone, and use TVOut to get the picture on the AVIC display. I set it all up last night and tried it out in the car this morning, streaming to the iphone works great but the program I was using to get the video output on the screen, screensplitr, was very slow. I'm going to try TVOut, another iPhone TV out program, and see how it goes. The quality is not as good as it would be using a TV tuner, but that might be different if I had a better internet connection at home.

http://www.orb.com/en/orblive

Advantages over the DTV tuner:

-really easy to set up, nothing to install

-gets any channels you get on your PC

-can also stream recorded TV and movies from your computer

-no worrying about antennas/reception

-you can take the iPhone with you and watch TV anywhere you want

Disadvantages

-Requires iPhone with data plan and solid 3G connection

-Requires always-on PC with TV Tuner and broadband internet connection

-Quality is about equal or slightly higher than a youtube video

-iPhone TV Out leaves a lot to be desired

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I just installed the Artec T3AP converter box w/ this antenna:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0283642608

The installation was easy, and the antenna fit in great in the head panel between the roof and the head board. The reception with the antenna was just as good as with my home antenna. The only problem was once i started moving, even at 5 mph, i would lose the digital signal. Its really neat though in that it works well when you are stopped. I will install the converter box in my glove box so that way I can change channels when i need to. ANyways, if anyone has had any luck getting this to work WHILE the car is moving, just post it up.

nice thread, wouldnt have ever thought to do this. I admit i still wouldnt if it cost me much, but i already have a 800 watt converter installed in my truck and just sent off for a coupon so looks like all i need to do is buy a antenna and a RCA cable. So for 10-20 bucks i can have TV in my truck I can handle that :D

If you have an ipod, i would recommend connecting the TV to the AV2 input on the front. I know its not as nice looking, but you can make the wire so you only plug it in when you need it (basically when you are not moving since the tuner wont work while driving). I tried splitting my AV1 input w/ the ipod, but it degreaded the audio volume and i got alternator induced noise. This is the cable i got:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0042584144

its retractable, so its super nice in that you can just retract it away when you dont need it :)

I had one of the first Kenwood touch screens YEARS ago (think pre-navi) that had a TV unit that came with it. and to tell you the truth, I was never impressed on the reception that it got while moving (and this was pre dtv) b/c the signal would fade in and out depending on the area i was driving in (like lots of trees or buildings). and most of the other in car TV stuff i have seen myself was never much better except for a direct TV unit that i saw one time that has an auto tracking sat dish but that dish enclosure was a little too big for regular cars (my friend was with a race team and they had one on the car transfer truck). But even that would loose signal on curvy roads (the tracking system could not keep up then).

picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=27

http://www.r18civic.com/forum/picture.p ... ctureid=27

Here is 2 pics of my HDTV Receiver with my Navi. It works pretty good. Not as good as analog TV but its pretty cool. Simple install. I currently have connected to my AV2 input which is that white IPOD wire. Any way here is what I did. First parts.

1 HDTV Receiver: Access HD Model DTA 10550D Rite Aid $19 dollars with $40

coupon.

2 Rabbit ear antenna the type that snaps in a regular tv Not Desk mount.

$1.99 at a 99 cent store.

3 9ft coaxial cable. Same place same price

4 coaxial barrel connector. This to connect two cables together.

5 75 watt inverter or power supply adapter you need the 6 volt setting with 2

amps.

6 If your going to use AV2 you need IPOD cable the has 3 RCA outputs. L & R

speaker out and 1 video out.

7 TV in signal booster.( TV preamp) radio shack $30

1 Unscrew the metal antenna ears replace it with 12 G wire same length, do not take off insulation only at the base. The base looks like a T. Install the antenna along the headliner along the front windshield. tuck it in. Connect the coax adapter to the antenna and run it along side the molding into the dash where the receiver will be. Connect the preamp to the radio hot lead .Power when the car is started.

2. Modify your cigarette lighter inverter. Add a wire to the positive tip and ground side of the inverter and connect it to a hot lead of your accessory port behind the dash. and ground to ground. Plug in the HDTV power supply to the inverter and the HDTV receiver.

3 Plug in the IPOD cable to the TV receiver and run it to AV2. And follow the instructions of the HDTV. Scan for channels and enjoy TV.

*** 4. I forgot connect a ground wire from the receiver to the car if your hear a buzz or you see lines running across your screen.

If you want to use AV1. Get a switch box and stash it in the glove box to switch from your IPOD to your TV. Here are the pics I was watching the Tyra Banks show. This is temp set up. I'm picking up the switch box today.

Try the ARTEC 3AP converter box. Can get it from Tiger Direct w/o a coupon for $43 or 3 BUCKS WITH A COUPON! 12 volt ready-made for RVs. Comes with remote too. Hard wired in and hooks up to vid 1 or 2! As far as an antenna, I use a combination of two-I am using that flat plastic ine like on page one of this thread...AND the antenna wires that were originally connected to my Pioneer GEX7000 NTSC receiver that I had attached before the digital conversion. Since the signals ARE digital, no ghosting, etc., and since the digital signals are more "directional" than the analog signals were, this antenna combo works a lot better than just using that flat plastic wing alone.

Hello Everybody

I'm in Canada. So if any one of you guys could direct me to an analog tv tuner that I could install, it would be great.

If someone wants to sell a used one, I'm open also. You can send me a pm

We still have analog tv until 2011 in Canada...

Greetings

Labgate

didnt read through tthe whole thread but how bout a small laptop with a laptop connect card from at&t or whatever service yoiu have for cell phone.. used in conjunction with the slingbox.... check their website.. video quality should be great and if you have a way to connect the pc to the avic then you can buy a wireless mouse or a wireless pen mouse to change the channels in my mind thats butter on bread as long as you can go from hdmi to rca or vga to rca. the sling box allows you to use your cable at home. it plugs in the sling box and plugs in to your ethernet at home and is then accessible through the web.. even to change channels .....WDYT?

I just received my ARTEC and am interested in hard wiring to my vehicle. Any idea if a regulated power supply is needed or can this be wired directly to vehicle wiring. The included power supply is 12v @ .5 amps wall AC adapter. Thinking.......chop off wall plug and splice into car wiring. I am assuming a variance of 12-14v with car wiring, so am wondering if I can do this. Thanks for your help.

I just received my ARTEC and am interested in hard wiring to my vehicle. Any idea if a regulated power supply is needed or can this be wired directly to vehicle wiring. The included power supply is 12v @ .5 amps wall AC adapter. Thinking.......chop off wall plug and splice into car wiring. I am assuming a variance of 12-14v with car wiring, so am wondering if I can do this. Thanks for your help.

this may be an easier solution: http://www.ezdigitaltv.com/RVs_and_Converter_Boxes.html

i think the biggest obstacle for this project is the antenna. apparently you can't split off the factory radio antenna b/c of impedance/ohm issues. everyone, including me, seems to want a stealth install- ie no rabbit ears sitting in the back of the car. the other problem is having to run power to an amplified antenna, something I would like to avoid.

possible solutions that i have seen for stealth antenna placement:

1. under the headliner antenna's http://www.carelectronicsworld.com/flatpanelheadlinermounttvantenna.aspx (regardless of whether you can fit the antenna under the headliner panel to your satisfaction, won't the roof above block all the signal?)

2. small rod antennas that can be run along pillars or window bases http://www.carelectronicsworld.com/dualleadamplifieddipolecartvantenna.aspx http://www.buy.com/prod/Boss-Audio-ANT8-Amplified-Dipole-TV-Antenna-with-Coaxial-F-Connector/q/loc/111/204254412.html

3. ultrathin antennas that could stick to windows http://www.rcaaccessories.com/rcaaccessories/RcaaccessoriesProductDetail.do?ACTION_TYPE_ID=ACTION_TYPE_PRODUCT_DETAIL&ACTION_CATEGORY_IDSTR_CATEGORY_INDOOR_ANTENNAS&ACTION_PRODUCT_ID=ANT1000 (that example is the best i could find and still wouldn't be very stealthy) found a better one: http://www.etronics.com/p-23401-pyle-plvwan7-thin-film-diversity-tv-antenna.aspx

other solutions or antenna's that you know of? any better solutions would be much appreciated.