AVIC411.com

Need official vote: F90BT vs. Avic-D3

Sorry, I really haven't had much time to use the F90's nav system, but I know that on my Magellan GPS that I used to have in my car that it wasn't dead on either. It would register a turn about a second after I had actually made it. Not sure if that is just typical of most nav systems?

hey, its not typical because i had the avic-d1 before this, and it would ALWAYS register the turn as you make the turn because it had a "gyro-sensor". however, the f90bt should have one too, but for some reason it doesn't seem to work as well.

also, the f90bt doesn't have a "fly-mode", where the d1 would continue on the map even off road if there was no road available

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, its not typical because i had the avic-d1 before this, and it would ALWAYS register the turn as you make the turn because it had a "gyro-sensor". however, the f90bt should have one too, but for some reason it doesn't seem to work as well.

also, the f90bt doesn't have a "fly-mode", where the d1 would continue on the map even off road if there was no road available

It seems that F90 will only use gyro/VSS if it senses the loss of GPS signal...

It does, however, have off-road mode, just by default it is set to snap to roads.

It seems that F90 will only use gyro/VSS if it senses the loss of GPS signal...

It does, however, have off-road mode, just by default it is set to snap to roads.

wait...are you serious??? would u mind telling me how to set it to off-road mode???? i didn't know u could do that!

wait...are you serious??? would u mind telling me how to set it to off-road mode???? i didn't know u could do that!

For F500 this is enabled by default. For built-in models, you'd need to either edit variable definitions, or you could use my Setting.UI files -- then you will have a button in Route Settings screen to turn it on or off (progress Report thread, Hacks forum).

so would that basically enable the gps into a "fly-mode" meaning that no matter how i drive, even off road into a parking lot, the gps won't try to connect me to a road but actually will show that im off map? just like the d1 does?

cuz i hate pulling into a parking lot, n the unit always tries to put me on a road close by.

...but overall, im very disappointed with the f90bt. even the gps is like 100-200 feet off. whenever i pass an intersection, i would pass it, and the gps would still be behind.

If you don't have the Vss hooked up, hooking it up should improve the response in tracking a lot....

so would that basically enable the gps into a "fly-mode" meaning that no matter how i drive, even off road into a parking lot, the gps won't try to connect me to a road but actually will show that im off map? just like the d1 does?

cuz i hate pulling into a parking lot, n the unit always tries to put me on a road close by.

Yes, there's a "snap to road" setting for iGO that can be turned off.

I have had my F90 since Dec 08 and I haven't had the issues you are having with the video or with the Navigation. Quick question... are you trying to watch a video while your parked and if so do you have the parking wire connected correctly or do you have the by-pass setup? You should be able to watch videos, movies without trouble using F90. Also where do you have your antenna installed are you receive a strong signal? Don't get me wrong, the F90 has more than it's fair share of issues but everything you are describing sounds like installation issues and not hardware or software issue, I could be wrong but that is what it sound like to me as far as the Navigation goes. As for the Bluetooth... have you tried re-installing the Bluetooth update again? I have a BlackBerry Curve 8310 and it works perfectly. I used to get long hanging but then I lowered the master volume and for whatever reason it doesn't do that any more. Now when I hang up the phone it plays the music 10-15 seconds later. Hope that helps

Hey guys,

to answer all the questions, yes the VSS signal is perfectly hooked up and so is the reverse signal. I had them connected and working perfectly with my Avic-D1, and when I took out the unit, i simply reconnected the VSS and reverse wire to the new unit.

regarding the gps antenna, it is in the SAME exact place it used to be for the d1 where everything worked perfect, it is in my far left corner of my dashboard right under the windshield.

in regards to the bluetooth, to gruvncbn, waiting 10-15 seconds for the music to kick in is a LONG time, my music usually kicks in 1-2 seconds after the call, BUT sometimes gets stuck and waits 30-60 seconds.

also, my unit is not bypassed, and watching movies of SD works perfect while parked, but the ipod won't play them and i double checked the rca wires, they are connected right.

in regards to the bluetooth, to gruvncbn, waiting 10-15 seconds for the music to kick in is a LONG time, my music usually kicks in 1-2 seconds after the call, BUT sometimes gets stuck and waits 30-60 seconds.

also, my unit is not bypassed, and watching movies of SD works perfect while parked, but the ipod won't play them and i double checked the rca wires, they are connected right.

I don't think it takes that long to come back, to tell you the truth it plays as soon as it hangs up. Although every once in a while it will take about 2-3 secs or just long enough for me to look down at head unit. I don't pay attention to it as much as before when I had the master volume turned up. Seems like it needs to process the audio TTS and prompts and when you mute it or lower it down all the way it doesn't use the system resources as much.

As for you iPod problem here is a dumb question... but do you have the all three RCAs hooked up to the USB/iPod cable and are they hooked up in the correct order, meaning Yellow to Yellow, Red to Red and White to White? I am just trying to trouble shoot your problem. Lastly under A/V settings do you have Video 1 set to iPod?

oh and btw... my F90 doesn't have the VSS wire connected and it is dead on turn for turn, even the speed is correct to the speed off my speedometer, well to 1-2 mph at least.

I wonder if you give it a hard reset will help yours out... the only thing is that all your setting will be wiped.

regarding the bluetooth and turning down the master voice, i tried this today, and made a few calls, and by the third call it got stuck again for about a minute until it started playing music again. maybe i should just reapply the bluetooth update again.

as of the ipod, yes, i am 100% certain the wires are connected that the yellow/yellow, red/red, and the white/white is connected. also 100% sure the AV1 source is set to ipod, (or else it wouldn't even play my ipod). i also set the ipod itself to video tv OUT, and still doesn't work. the vids work on the ipod though. when i play them, i just get a blank screen like they are playing, but no sound and no pic. however i do get the titel on the bottom of the video.

in regards to the VSS, the speed signal is dead on for me too +/- 1mph. and the vss is hooked up. YET for every exit i take, or every turn i make, the gps car (in 3d and 2d mode) continues to drive straight for 1-3 seconds and then quickly repositions itself onto the right road.

whereas my D1 was making the turn with me as i was making it

in regards to the VSS, the speed signal is dead on for me too +/- 1mph. and the vss is hooked up. YET for every exit i take, or every turn i make, the gps car (in 3d and 2d mode) continues to drive straight for 1-3 seconds and then quickly repositions itself onto the right road.

whereas my D1 was making the turn with me as i was making it

My F90 does the exact same thing but it seems intermittent, sometimes it is right on track. I think it's a signal issue myself but thats just my guess. My D3 is usually dead on (97% of the time)

You also have to look at the interfaces here. The D3 is very boring to me. The F90 ROCKS in the looks and customization department.

Jason put up the info on the newer updates that should be coming along soon (this summer) for the F's and I'm sure they will be fixing all kinds of little issues we are having with the F series. Cant wait for that.

With Kenwood nipping at their heels with their new units, I'm sure they will take the time to fix these issues.

yeah well...i just shipped my f90bt back to the seller. i still got a full refund, and im just gonna wait a little til the new update comes out. if it does fix everything needed, im gonna get the unit again, probably also a lil cheaper than now cuz its gonna be older.

and if it doesn't, im just gonna go through with the kenwood unit, or the D3.

I can tell you first hand that the D3 does not have any operational issues. Just look at the D3 forum. No problems at all. I have had mine for 2 1/2 years and I LOVE that unit. Not one single problem for me with BT, XM, or NAV. It is as reliable as it gets, just not as sexy as the F.