AVIC411.com

Big issues versus small issues

Ok when i bought this system I was dreaming a bit bigger than Pioneer i guess.

I bought the f900bt the xm the hd radio and a IPOD touch that fit nicely into the glove box.

Thats about as far as pioneer thought ahead as well. Me spending money ... the end.

Now here is a list of things that don't work well for me. I see that many of them have been addressed, but its my hope that some pioneer hacker is in here stealing your ideas for the next release, but a few of these you guys haven't even tackled and I consider them big issues.

Big issues...

WIFI use of the IPOD... I mean come on my phone has an I.e. browser on it. At the very least pipe the Ipod touches browser function to the head unit. so I can use the web browser in my f150:)

ITunes que on the IPOD automatic download. Now really this is an IPOD problem but apple is as lazy as pioneer. I want to leave my IPOD in my truck pull up to my house that has wifi everywhere and have it automatically download my podcasts and any other qued music to the IPOD. That way my truck is ready to roll automatically.

Make use of wifi for software updates. CE 6.0 adds some needed navigation updates yet the only plan was to use a dvd and only when pioneer is good and ready to do so. Most corporations don't have spectacular support becuase its a COST not a benefit. On my pocket pc with windows mobile 6.2... major blue tooth upgrade that added a lot of functionality to it.

Bluetooth use of the phones internet... If you don't have the ipod you most likely have a bluetooth phone with internet so this also should be made use of with a browser for when wifi is not available via ipod just use the Alltels internet access.

Why do I want the internet access besides business. Can you say netflix Internet movies?

Ok now the little issues...

Screen off from any menu.

Next Turn arrows on other video source menus if a desination is set. When On my ipod or xm I still want my next turn arrows maybe upcoming street.

Annoying don't use while driving warnings, I clicked ok once I don't need to do this every time I enter the car. Plus they seem to slow some feature loads.

Click on phone number in POI screen and AUTODIAL This should be a simple fix.

HTC 6800 external gps to phone function. I would like to use the google's where am I features to update my current gps location to my website yet another bluetooth function that is not working properly.

Voice activation button on touch screen because the silver button is terrible it seems to pick a different function every time I push it.

Isn't this thing supposed to check my email?... MSN features sound great but because I live 500 miles from a city that has capability hmmm lets again try to get my money by actually using one of my many wifi enabled devices that hook to this radio.

Menu button screen. The active A/V sources shoudl be on the screen instead of a button for A/V sources. Make the icons smaller 3-4 rows maybe

Button beeps are annoying and why is this volume to tied to the voice?

I suppose i'll be the one to bite and reply to this.

Wifi: As far as I've seen anywhere, the iPod Touch does not have the ability to tether or 'pipe' a network connection into the dock connector or anywhere else; it's a purely internal connection. WiFi would be an option on the head unit itself, if they wanted to implement that, but to browse the web over a phone's connection would require a complex setup of Bluetooth that most people lack the knowledge of how to do. It's a somewhat advanced topic. Plus they'd need to develop even more software for the head unit to browse wireless APs, connect to the internet, license or write a browser, and most people just don't need to browse the web on their head units. That's what carputers are for.

iPod Downloads: You're right, that's an Apple thing. They haven't seen a need for it, so it hasn't been implemented. Maybe via a third party app, but look how long it's taken for copy paste! Once again, people have set up carputers to do this - Check out the forums and such at http://www.mp3car.com to see what people have done there.

Upgrades: As far as I know, the versions of windows used by the head unit and your phone are very different. Windows CE Embedded is nothing like Windows Mobile 6 Professional. They've got two different tasks, and I believe the licensing for one may be a lower price than the other. The upgrades also have to be paid for by the company if they offer that; Windows isn't free. Heck, cell phones with WM rarely get carrier-sanctioned OS updates.

Bluetooth internet: I think I answered this above there, but to reiterate, there are a number of different ways to do internet over bluetooth; some involve dialing a special number like ##679 or something and using a DUN connection, some use Bluetooth PAN, but there's a lot of variables here, and while I too would really like to see something like this, so we don't have to pay for MSN Direct and other services, until some sort of tethering standard emerges, I think we're going to be waiting. Once again though, carputer people are doing this, as it's easier to get a Windows XP install to tether to a mobile device than it is an embedded system that does not have the software to handle it.

To give a little comment to the movies thing, Netflix streaming would not work on your phone unless you're rocking a solid 3G connection, and even then streaming a video with a high enough bitrate that people won't go "OMG this video quality sucks" is difficult. Not to mention that most cell carriers have a 5GB cap on their data connections, which you'd most likely hit with a few movies.

Overall, I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but I just thought I'd try and explain why I think some of the features you mention have not been implemented yet. As a disclaimer, I'm not perfect, this is just things as far as I know them.

I don't think this internet issue is as hard as you think...

I am not asking for a browser for my pioneer unit. I just want the IPODS browser to be visiable on my UNIT. This is no different than what is currently taking place with the MENU screen to play music. Video and keystroke communication.

Basicly MIMIc my Ipod touch completely instead of just one tiny part

The iPod interface on any external screen isn't allowed by Apple. They don't even allow it on their own devices that they make. The simple reason is this.. they don't want you to... Apple want's the iPhone and iTouch interface to remain on the devices screen in perfect proportion w/o any outside interference. The amount of money Pioneer and other makers pay to simply have an interface that works with the iPod is enough. Giving away portions of the UI so that an Automaker or even a peripheral maker can duplicate the "look-and-feel" is too dangerous.

As for tethering... which is what you want over bluetooth or via the USB... neither Apple nor AT&T allow for it... Apple has said they are open to Tether.. but blame AT&T for the hold-up.. and when it does come.. don't look for 3G speeds. AT&T will throttle you down to maybe Edge speeds because they don't want a phone competing against a dedicated Data device they also sell... Sprint and Verizon do the same thing even on the Blackberries...