AVIC411.com

IN PROGRESS: 500GB iPod hack for about $175 (including iPod)

The iPod incorporates a SOC (System on Chip) meaning all of the components of the "Operating System" are contained on a single chip.. this makes it easier and cheaper to produce for Apple...

Technically doing what is listed above SHOULD work... however I am willing to bet that Apple places something on the Firmware of the storage media in the iPod to make it recognized from the SOC-IC. If not then the only technical bit left is getting the 12V+ regulated and to the Desktop Hard Drive as a USB port can not push or sustain that much power, it simply is not in the USB Specs... You can always get around this by using an external HD case and a power inverter but now your talking bulk that will either eat your glove box, or start sucking up more room in your trunk...

Your best bet for doing all this is a External Laptop SATA Hard Drive because the needed power to run a Laptop drive can be drawn off the 5V rail of a USB port...

Yes, my intention is to use a 2.5" laptop drive with a USB enclosure permitting power supplied via the vehicles 12 volt system. (See my parts list in the first post). It would be easy enough to supply a 3.5" drive with power; however the 2.5" drives generally handle shock better - so they are more suited to a portable application.

The final product WILL be larger than a traditional iPod, but not by much. It should easily tuck into the glove box, behind the dash, or in the trunk. Besides, if I can fit 500+ GB of music on there I will gladly take a few things out of the glove box.

I finally received most of the parts I needed, so I hope to get started on the project later this week or early next. I will keep you all posted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I got sent this link, only to have it be a dead end? Hopefully the OP will get an email from the forums saying he got a reply so we can get an update! He hasn't been active since Sep 09, so what are the odds of an admin sending this guy an email directly in case he doesn't get emails from the forums? Until about a week ago, I didn't even have it setup so I'd know people replied to the posts I was on, so maybe that's the case with the OP and why he's never updated this. I've got basically everything minus the cables and a crapped out iPod, which I'd be willing to spend $50-$60 if this in fact works!

No updates isn't an answer.

VBLUE42 - AVIC411.com NO, NO, NO King.

Sorry, still won't work. You porobably could build a new iPod out of a hard drive and pieces of old iPods, but that's about the only way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am thinking of trying out this mod...

except a ZIF to SATA adapter simply does not seem to exist... so this is going to require 2 adapters...

http://cgi.ebay.com/IDE-1-8-ZIF-CE-tosh ... 5ada753cf6

will adapt a ZIF ribbon to a regular 40 pin IDE (male connector)

then you can plug this IDE to SATA adapter right into the previous adapter

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5-SATA-Serial-ATA ... 1c13f0d576

to let the IDE host device (the ipod) talk to the SATA target (the hard drive)

the question will be if the ipod will recognize the device...

also your going to need a regulated 5v and 12v (MUST be regulated - cant take this directly from the lighter plug) supply to spin up the hard disk and power the IDE>SATA adapter...

Don't waste your time.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

That should sufficiently explain to you, and everyone else who thinks about resurrecting this thread why it isn't feasible and why the OP/everyone else never came back to say they were successful.

huh? thats talking about direct attaching a hard drive to the AVIC... im talking about putting a larger hard drive in an ipod to make a larger ipod... then attach that like any other ipod to the AVIC... I am not seeing an issue...

plus there are working examples (albiet with a 4th gen)

heres one with a 2.5" laptop IDE drive and further down the page a 3.5" IDE drive (a 120gb)

http://www.openobject.org/objectsinflux/?p=42

the 1.8" hard drives that the 5th gen (video) iPod use are simply IDE hard drives with ZIF connectors... all you need to do is get those pins to your other deice, for example, if you were using a 3.5" IDE drive you could simply use the first adapter I liked to... that device has no logic, no intelligence at all, it simply gives you all the IDE/ATA signals present on the ZIF on a more traditional 40 pin connector which you could use a regular 40/80pin IDE cable to your target device (plus a connector for power since its designed to be used the other way around but we can simply ignore that and power the hard disk separately) or perhaps if your lucky that IDE to SATA adapter (which is designed to connect a STA device to an IDE host)

now the question is going to be if the iPod can handle 48bit LBA (aka >132Gb hard disks)

I think that I will just go the easy route. I already have an iphone, but it is only 16gb, so in other words not capable of holding much music or movies. I am just going to pick up a 160gb iPod classic and Store my tunes and music on it. I will just have it permanently attached in my glove box. They are not that expensive and 160gb is sufficient

I think that I will just go the easy route. I already have an iphone, but it is only 16gb, so in other words not capable of holding much music or movies. I am just going to pick up a 160gb iPod classic and Store my tunes and music on it. I will just have it permanently attached in my glove box. They are not that expensive and 160gb is sufficient

Damn you, abb, for your logic and reason

You mean you don't want to go to ridiculous lengths to have enough music in your car at all times to make sure you can travel around the world 14 times without hearing the same song twice?

:lol: