AVIC411.com

Installed an aftermarket camera from ebay into the license plate.
It appeared to be working fine the first day except that I had to make frequent changes to Brightness and Contrast.
Then I discovered that the LEDs don't light up at night.
The next morning the reverse view screen went completely dark (except for the map portion) while driving for about a half hour with only undistinguishable ghosting moving around.
After setting brightness and contrast to max I was able to see a faint black and white picture with occasional bright color flashes.

I assume that this is a camera problem BUT is there any chance that it might be a Z1 problem?

[img]http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/10/28910283956.jpg[/img]
Hook something else up in the Z1's rear camera input.

Take a portable DVD player or even the Z1's video output and put it into the rear camera input. I'm not sure if the Z1's video output will work because I'm not sure if the Z1 still outputs video while its in the rear view mode.

You can also try taking the RCA out from the camera and hooking it into a TV.

If the camera works properly when hooked up to the TV, its a Z1 issue. If the Z1 displays the picture from either itself or a DVD player, its an issue with the camera.

I would do both tests before deciding which is broken.
The ebay seller confirms that the camera is defective based on the description of the problem. He wants to give me back my money but doesn't want to replace the camera. Hmmmmmmm.
[url]http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130037943811&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSII_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=130031234913&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=ItemToItem&usedrule2=StoreCatToStoreCat&usedrule3=CategoryProximity&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget[/url]
'Wonder if that means that all of his cameras are defective and if that's the case then why does he keep selling more. Unfortunately I've drilled the 1 1/4" hole and where it is I don't have room behind it to install another camera that is longer than this one.
[b]Anyone know of another WIDE angle (at least 100 deg. viewing angle), reverse camera that will fit into a 1 1/4" hole and is no more than 2" long/deep ?[/b]
[quote name="Passat 05"]The ebay seller confirms that the camera is defective based on the description of the problem. He wants to give me back my money but doesn't want to replace the camera. Hmmmmmmm.
[url]http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130037943811&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSII_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=130031234913&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=ItemToItem&usedrule2=StoreCatToStoreCat&usedrule3=CategoryProximity&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget[/url]
'Wonder if that means that all of his cameras are defective and if that's the case then why does he keep selling more. Unfortunately I've drilled the 1 1/4" hole and where it is I don't have room behind it to install another camera that is longer than this one.
[b]Anyone know of another WIDE angle (at least 100 deg. viewing angle), reverse camera that will fit into a 1 1/4" hole and is no more than 2" long/deep ?[/b][/quote]

Strange that he does not want to replace it?

You should have warned us about the annoying ActiveX pop up on that site. It goes off even when you try to click it away and you can't get rid of the noise until you get out of OE.

I'm hoping that some one will recommend another camera here that is not to expensive and not to big.
[quote]
Strange that he does not want to replace it?

You should have warned us about the annoying ActiveX pop up on that site. It goes off even when you try to click it away and you can't get rid of the noise until you get out of OE.

I'm hoping that some one will recommend another camera here that is not to expensive and not to big.[/quote]
Sorry, I don't know why he has that damn Active X.
He finally did agree to ship me a replacement and hopefully this one is going to be ok.
I had a similar problem with my first Z1. If you don't have another video source, put in a dvd, play it and change your settings on the Z1 to mirror the dvd output. Hook up an RCA from the video out to the back up camera input. Then with ignition on and the car not running, e-brake on, shift the car into reverse. If you get a perfect image of the movie, it's not the Z1. But if the image is as bad as with the camera, then it is the Z1. I first thought it was my camera and after I recieved a replacement and took my truck apart, I still had the same issues, I was pretty pissed that I had a bad unit from factory, but it happens. Hope this helps
  • 4 weeks later...
bump, i'm having teh same problem

is there no fix for this? only return it to pioneer?

my bacxk up camera worked when i tested it out, so i ran teh wires and then tried it out and it won't work! I attached it to a vid input, and it didn't work either so i assumed it was the camera, however, when i tried putting a video source to the back up camera input, it didn't work either

sooo, i'm thinking its a problem with the Z1... everything else works fine EXCEPT this reverse cam function!

help!
[quote name="Krisen Type-S"]bump, i'm having teh same problem

my bacxk up camera worked when i tested it out, so i ran teh wires and then tried it out and it won't work! I attached it to a vid input, and it didn't work either so i assumed it was the camera, however, when i tried putting a video source to the back up camera input, it didn't work either

sooo, i'm thinking its a problem with the Z1... everything else works fine EXCEPT this reverse cam function!

help![/quote]

Sounds identical to my problem and if Pioneer replace a Z1 because they can't fix it then I would think that there just is no fix for it.

Hopefully everyone tests their camera connection before the warranty runs out.
  • 1 month later...
I am trying to install my pioneer reverse cam tonight and the picture is all screwed up with the reverse cam input. But when I connect it to the aux input the picture is perfect. Using the reverse input the picture is all weird and shows random scan lines and seems dim and sometimes shows double pics horizontally.
[quote name="Passat 05"] [quote name="Krisen Type-S"]bump, i'm having teh same problem

help![/quote]

Sounds identical to my problem and if Pioneer replace a Z1 because they can't fix it then I would think that there just is no fix for it.

Hopefully everyone tests their camera connection before the warranty runs out.[/quote]

Oh boy, I just ordered the same camera from the same guy this morning.
How did you make out with the camera?
I hope I don't have any problems...
You have any helpfull tips for me? :D
  • 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone, I`m a bit worried about trying the ebay cameras... I see this one available, anyone have any comments on this one here?
[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/Wide-Angle-120-deg-Waterproof-Car-Rear-View-Reverse-Cam_W0QQitemZ220071804826QQihZ012QQcategoryZ48629QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]http://cgi.ebay.com/Wide-Angle-120-deg- ... dZViewItem[/url]

Next I asks to list whether we need PAL or NTSC, which one do we use here in the US?

thanks!
LM