AVIC411.com

Another Speed Pulse Problem (02 Audi A4)

I am having a problem with Z1. I was too lazy/busy to install it myself, so I had a local shop put it in. Big mistake. Anyway, when I go to Menu>Settings>Hardware>Connection Status, the Speed Pulse is reading "0."

I assumed my Speed Pulse wire from the back of the Z1 was not connected properly. The part that confuses me is that when I go to Menu>Setting>Hardware>3D Calibration Status, I get a reading in the Speed Pulse part. WTF? I've tried everything. I reset all the Sensors, Tapped into the VSS wire again (but I'm not sure if it's the correct wire. I tried troubleshooting it with a Multimeter, but I read that it needs to read frequency, and mine does not.) The learning status says "Simple Hybrid." Shouldn't it say something else? I don't know. Any help would be appreciated (if you're in the Bay Area and you'd could help me, there a case of beer waiting for you ;-) )

Thanks

If you have a ZERO speed pulse while moving, but you do show a value in the calibration screen, my guess is that this was installed in another vehicle. Reset the speed pulse count, and it should stay on ZERO until the VSS connection is corrected.

I found the following info for the '02 A4:

SPEED SENSE|brown/red or white/blue | behind instrument cluster, blue plug|

If your factory radio has speed sensing volume, it could be a blue/white wire behind the radio.

Thanks for the response. I am trying to verify the VSS wire right now. But I should mention, I have reset the sensor calibrations before, checked the speed pulse in connections status to be zero while in motion, then saw speed pulse count in 3D Calibration status. My guess is that VSS wire is loose and only sends a signal intermittently. I'm gonna check it out.

Concerning the A4 information you supplied, I did verify that the speed pulse sensor was attached to the brn/red wire coming from the blu plug form the gauge cluster. Still no speed pulse while in motion. That speed pulse is real time like everything else on the page, right?

Thanks for all you help.

Ha ha!!! I figured it out. I hooked up the Speed Pulse to the correct wire. I found out the one that the sh*tty installer hooked it to was the one for the reverse sensor :roll: , and never hooked up the reverse sensor on the AVIC. So, the Speed Pulse would get a pulse when I would back out of the driveway :lol: . Everything is all good now.

Thanks for everybody's help.

FYI for B6 A4 owner's: The speed pulse wire is the brown/red wire on the GREEN harness on the right side of the instrument cluster. :mrgreen:

• 9 months later...

My experience locating VSS was different. In my 2005 A4 I did not find a brown/red wire on the green harness at the right side of the instrument cluster (there was a blue/white wire which I tried but did not work). The brown/red wire on the blue harness on the left side of the cluster similarly did not work.

Ultimately the guidance that ended up being correct for me was the following: use the blue/white wire behind the driver's side kick panel. A comment I read elsewhere (Audizine?) suggested that this was consistent across model years - it's also easier to reach and tap into than wires behind the cluster!