AVIC411.com

EXTERNAL HARDDRIVE

As far as I know it is an internal flash and not an HDD like the "Z"'s so I don't think so.(??)

He was asking about connecting an external drive to the unit, not it has inside.

And it is possible, as long as you can apply external power to the drive.

I have a WD 250gb external drive. the usb connects directly to the usb port on the 500bt. the light on the HD comes on, but the option on the unit is not available for selection. This is the same port that charges/power a ipod!!! Anyone nows why?

Not enough power on AVIC's USB port. I am using a 320GB Buffalo that has a seocnd power connector which I run from a cig-lighter to USB adapter, and it works fine.

Also, in best circumstances, AVIC take (sometimes quite) a while to scan the disk and decide that may be it will actually dignify you with playing it. :)

According to Pioneer's training site on the f-series, they are SUPPOSED to be able to control any external hd up to 250gb, formatted as FAT32. While I think the interface and load times suck (using an ipod is a MUCH better option IMHO), this IS an advertised feature of the 700, 900 and 90.