AVIC411.com

All of a sudden iphone not recognized as ipod??

I just installed my f700bt a couple of days ago and I was pretty happy with how I could plug in my iphone (1st generation) and use the ipod side of things through the radio. Now when I plug it in it doesn't get recognized by the headunit (doesn't show up in the av source menu).

-I checked that the cables are in correctly.

-The iphone gives me the normal warning about it not being a supported device and would i like to switch to airplane mode.

-The iphone is recognized via bluetooth in about 2 minutes after bootup.

-I've tried plugging it in before turning the car on and after turning the car on (even after the bluetooth connection has happened)

-I haven't tried resetting the unit to factory settings

-I have not modded the unit at all (other than the hardware bypass). I do plan on modding soon. I just need to find the time to pick up an SD card.

-The radio works just fine.

The same thing happened with my 2nd Gen Classic Ipod. I thought the connector came loose in the back of my F700.

I did a hard reset (hold menu button and center button) and it began working again.

I know you're not talking about an Ipod, but maybe it'll help.

Tonight I had some free time and tried to troubleshoot this problem.

I also tried a usb thumb drive...it works just fine. I may just go this route and forgo using speech recognition (which i'm not sure i'd use all that much and i'll forgo album art, which i don't care about at all. I do care about the organization aspect, but I might just say f-it.

I don't have any sd cards so i didn't try one, but I'm guessing one would work. I have an external av source (DVD player), but I didn't have a chance to try it.

The hard reset of the iphone while it is plugged in didn't work. A hard reset of my wife's nano while plugged in didn't do anything either. A hard reset of the avic didn't work either.

I'm using the pioneer cable. I bought it new on amazon. I'm starting to think it's junk.

What's crazy is that it worked the first day right after I installed the unit and a couple of restarts thereafter.

So, I decided to go back to a jailbroken phone. This time I'm using the 2.2.1 firmware and used quickpwn to do the break. The first time I plugged in the phone and then booted up the f700bt it didn't work. I got to the av source menu and had a grayed out usb icon. Then, on the iphone I went to the ipod section and hit play on a song, and heard it through the speakers on my car...then a couple of seconds later the phone was recognized by the avic. I then tried various combinations of plugging, unplugging and turning the avic on and off with it plugged in, playing, not playing, etc. It all seems to work now.

I'm very confused, but happy it works.

So I think I figured out why my iPhone is recognized and other times it's not. At first it seemed completely random, it would work for days on end and then out of the blue I would plug in the iPhone and nothing. I realized that when I brought my iPhone inside and synced it to iTunes the next morning or whenever I next pluged it into my F90BT it would not recognize it. I would have to reset the F90BT and iPhone several times and then once it started working it would work every time until I synced it again to iTunes.

Is anyone else seeing this? Any ideas?

IMHO forget the iphone with the F series. It's not 100% compatible. I've bought a cheap 8Gb Nano off ebay and it works a charm, even comes up with Pioneer in the display plus I leave it in the car so no more plugging/unplugging.

Maybe something to consider and keep your jailbroken iphone.

• 2 weeks later...
So I think I figured out why my iPhone is recognized and other times it's not. At first it seemed completely random, it would work for days on end and then out of the blue I would plug in the iPhone and nothing. I realized that when I brought my iPhone inside and synced it to iTunes the next morning or whenever I next pluged it into my F90BT it would not recognize it. I would have to reset the F90BT and iPhone several times and then once it started working it would work every time until I synced it again to iTunes.

Is anyone else seeing this? Any ideas?

I need to check this out. I had the random connection problem with my 90bt and 3g iphone that drove me crazy. I bought the Apple cable, have all the latest firmware, etc.

Then a couple weeks ago, I had my iphone replaced under warranty for a screen problem. I did a restore through itunes, and all of a sudden I couldn't get it to disconnect from the 90bt no matter what! I was so happy. It lasted a week and a half, and then started getting random again. Not as bad as before, but getting close.

If we could figure out what itunes is doing to screw it up, then maybe we could deal with it.