AVIC411.com

Line-In AV2, audio only?

So I want to hook my phone (blackberry storm) to my F700 to use Pandora. I have my iPod in the glove box so AV1 is being used for that. I stupidly assumed that like most head units, the Avic's front 3.5mm jack would work for audio input. Is there a way to just connect a line-in (3.5mm -> 3.5mm) stereo cable from the phone to the head unit and get audio. I'm getting the impression this may not be as easy as it should be.

Thanks

You can buy a cable that has RCA on 1 end and 3.5mm jack on the other. I bought mine at Walmart for like $7. You will need the special cable for AV2. I have seen them online for $20 or if you have a video recorder, that cable might work. I have a Samsung video recorder and it came with a cable that works with AV2. I use this with my Moto Q9m for Pandora too. Doesn't sound that great but it works.

i'm confused. I've used the front 3.5 mm jack for audio before. I remember having to go into the settings or something to configure it properly. Also, since there's no video being inputted, the screen is blank except for the AV2 icon in the top left with the clock.

• 2 weeks later...
i'm confused. I've used the front 3.5 mm jack for audio before. I remember having to go into the settings or something to configure it properly. Also, since there's no video being inputted, the screen is blank except for the AV2 icon in the top left with the clock.

Yes, go to the av settings and change av2 to video. The screen will be black (as long as you have the video bypass mod). Just hit the map button and the map will be displayed and the audio will still play.

• 1 month later...
so does the AV2 work for video with a generic 3.5mm to rca cable?

There is no such thing as a "generic" cable that goes from 3.5mm with RCA for video, there are 2, if not 3, "standards" and they have differing pinouts, and the ground on the 3.5mm side can be in different spots.

I'm pretty sure that there are threads here pointing out which configuration you need for the AVIC, but I've never paid attention since I only use the AV2 for audio.

i ordered the CD-RM10 cable but the video didn't seem to work with the couplers I used to connect my video in. Got a black and white output on the avic that wasnt steady. Im guessing its due to the different pinouts as mentioned before. Am I mistaken that its possible to do video though the front 3.5mm jack with the RM10 cable?

buy one of these. you don't need the pioneer brand.

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Visual-Camco ... 727&sr=1-1

"pins" should be the same. It's just a standard TRS connector. If pioneer did try to change the pins, then just try different combinations of the colors. Usually yellow is video, but if Pioneer decides to be jerks, then it could be L (audio) or other.

Make sure that your settings on the AVIC AV2 input is correctly configured. I used mine with no problems. It took a little fumbling, but the manual provides directions.

Read pages 120 and 143 for detailed instructions.

• 3 weeks later...
buy one of these. you don't need the pioneer brand.

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Visual-Camco ... 727&sr=1-1

"pins" should be the same. It's just a standard TRS connector. If pioneer did try to change the pins, then just try different combinations of the colors. Usually yellow is video, but if Pioneer decides to be jerks, then it could be L (audio) or other.

Make sure that your settings on the AVIC AV2 input is correctly configured. I used mine with no problems. It took a little fumbling, but the manual provides directions.

Read pages 120 and 143 for detailed instructions.

Video should be yellow, if it isn't then you're using the wrong type of cable. There is a diagram in the installation manual of the correct cable the "pinout" of the 3.5mm jack