AVIC411.com

HOW TO: 2.5'' Hard Drive Tutorial

just trying to get this answered as quickly as possible. not trying to spam. just did a search for hard drives, wanted to make sure i reached the audience that might have the answers.

but thanks for your help.

well this is a forum not a chat room so don't expect to get answers right away

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

true lol. But the cold start problem has nothing to do with lack of power. I am happy for people that have theirs cold boot, but unfortunatly many of us who have that problem and respond to this forum have everything properly setup with the usb Y-cable and a usb cigerrit lighter power source. I think getting the avic os to format the hd was a nice touch but I doubt it might help in the problems that we currently have such as cold boot or larger then 40 gig and wont be recognized. Just wondering can you play anything on the ce like music and stuff or is it really bear bone.

Oh to add we tried a 500GB Western Digital Passport 2.5" and it worked fine with the AVIC-F900BT.

I HAVE A SEAGATE 500GB N ITS NOT WORKN WIT MY F900BT

have you tried only filling it with 40Gb of music and giving it a few minutes to be recognized by your head unit?

• 3 weeks later...
Oh to add we tried a 500GB Western Digital Passport 2.5" and it worked fine with the AVIC-F900BT.

I have the same type of hard drive for my 90BT, I think I am running into the power issue most have described on here because I notived the HD was not spinning up even though the light came on.

My question is regarding the format. My WD Passport does not have the Fat16/32 file format...instead it has EXFAT. I was doing some research and I know that the Windows CE 6 will recognize EXFAT, but My Avic is Windows CE 5, and I couldn't find anything that tells me whether or not it will recognize that file system.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi mates,

I hope this can help you as much this forum has helped me. I have bought the Toshiba ( :roll: ) 1,8" Hard Disk Drive (30Gb) from DEALEXTREME and it´s working fine. No need to plug or unplug, it starts sooner than SD card, and no need more than a USB connection (no external energy needed). I bought the 30Gb one cos I didn´t want to risk with bigger size (60Gb is available too). I have many pendrives, but the same model in 8Gb works, and 16Gb one doesn´t. If there´s anyone who wants to try the bigger one, he can make it, on his own risk.

• 6 months later...

Who does old thread revivals....

<----THIS GUY!!

So diegoapavi, how's that drive working out for you? Still going without issues? I searched on eBay for "1.8 hard drive" and came up with a million adapters and finally started seeing drives in the $10 range. I like that you mentioned that it doesn't require anything extra for power and starts up quicker than an SD card. Is the startup immediate like a CD, radio, etc or still slower than that? Also, at startup does it continue the music/video where it left off at last or does it have the same issue as the SD's and 2.5" external HDD's where it starts the music from the beginning? Thanks...just doing my homework before I make any additional purchases.

• 2 weeks later...
PM sent...maybe 1.8" is the way to get around an iPod.

I´m alive. Long time since I wrote that, hehe :D . The 1,8" HDD is still working fine, but it starts the tracks from the beginning, like the other HDD. If you want iPod functionality, buy an iPod and forget about HDD, cos they are not the same.

Guest x5james

I'm not really interested in going through getting an iPod when picking up a drive is so much easier. Just as long as you don't have the lagging issues we experience while using SD's, then getting a 1.8" HDD sounds like it's a better solution that a 2.5" HDD.