AVIC411.com

Impact of not hooking up VSS wire?

Is there anything other than providing an updated location when GPS signal is lost, that the VSS wire provides? I have an 2008 Toyota Tacoma and my cars speedometer is typically about +5mph fast then I'm actually going. I also live a rural area where I would never really lose GPS signal. With those two factors, is there anything I have to lose by not hooking up the VSS wire?

I have an F900BT in my VW Golf no VSS wire connected yet usedf it this way for a few weeks now but will connect it this weekend to see if it makes any difference, the only thing that stopped me was not being sure which wire it was on in the VW, I am thinking it is the wire marked Gala which compensates the factory fit radios volume for speed.

I have been using a Tom Tom for two years and there is no facility for a speed wire input and that has no problems so I would not expect any problem with the more expensive Pioneer unit, I don't drive through tunnels routinely or drive in a city with tall obstructions so have no experience of signal loss, I would think the unit can dead reckon its position in a signal loss situation if the speed is connected.

Regards.

Brian F.

Thats a good point, does the radio (90bt) also adjust volume based on speed? That's one reason to hook it up if that is true. I just don't want to splice into VSS and further propagate the margin of error in my speedometer. I'd rather use the GPS speed which is more accurate.

You can only improve things by hooking up the VSS, the error of a few miles per hour from your speedo is nothing compared to the error of doing 60 mph and the sat nav thinking you are stionery becase it has no speed input.

The above is only of importance if you are regularly in a situation where you can loose signal, in tunnels, high buildings, under water :-) etc.

Regards.

Brian F.

Not connecting the VSS wire is not going to hurt anything at all. How many units do you think are installed into vehicles that you can not hook up the vss wire on, plus Pioneer has to plan for that situation also. I have been running mine for about 3 months with out the VSS wire connected. In fact when i installed the unit i had no intentions of connecting the VSS wire. You will be fine. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies. I understand that the unit will function since some people don't/can't tap into a VSS wire for there car. I was just wondering, besides showing your location in tunnels or when you lose GPS signal, if there were any other functionality losses by not hooking this up? Does anyone know if the unit will adjust volume based on speed?

Thanks for the replies. I understand that the unit will function since some people don't/can't tap into a VSS wire for there car. I was just wondering, besides showing your location in tunnels or when you lose GPS signal, if there were any other functionality losses by not hooking this up? Does anyone know if the unit will adjust volume based on speed?

Hooking up the Vss also slightly improves map update times and navigation instructions.....

Update time for the GPS position is once per second, Vss is almost continuous....

Volume does not adjust by speed. I wish it did.

You proceed from an incorrect assumption that the 5MPH difference from your speedometer would be applied to the AVIC. The VSS signal does not give an absolute speed indication. (It doesn't say to the AVIC, hey I'm going 50 MPH.) Instead the the VSS signal is a certain amount of pulses per distance traveled. The amount of pulses per mile (or whatever) is different from one car to the next. The AVIC calibrates itself by counting pulses and then checking with the GPS antenna to see how far you have actually traveled.

In short, even if your speedometer is off, the VSS signal into the AVIC will still be accurate. You have no reason not to hook it up, unless you can't find the wire.

I just installed my F90bt in my 2007 hhr from the research I did my car does not have VSS wire unless you use the metra box to keep the door chimes, which to me did not matter for a 80 buck box. It seems to work ok so far have only tested it around town a few times, I am going on a trip next week will see how it goes then. if any one knows if the 2007 hhr with auto tran has a vss please let me know.

thanks

• 4 years later...

Hi guys ,

I post here also  and hope to get an answer on this matter. Can someone just tell me what to do with the VSS cable when i dont have either backup camera or can-bus installed. I understand that hooking up the VSS cable it will help my gps. In norway we have lots of tunnels and driving through one , it will cause the gps to go haywire coz it has no clue where it is. So i understand that this VSS wire maybe is my solution. My question is : is it just to ground the VSS cable like i did with parking brake ? or do i really need to buy the can-bus etc.

in advance thanx

HI 1loudls

Thank you for the warning . I am very carefull on what i allow myself to do with my brand new F950DAB , can't affort to just buy another one :)

So i went to a company whos doing only this kind of stuff , and they told me that my Suzuki GrandVitara 2006 does not have that cable and needs to be hocked from the speedomenter. Which of course they gladly can do it. For now , i have to wait a little until my finance is better.

Once again , thank you for reply.

C