AVIC411.com

AVIC-D2 Camera Question.

Hey All,

I just got the AVIC-D2 super cheap and Im interested in knowing what types of cameras can I use for the rear camera view? From what I remember seeing on the RCA inputs/outputs, I think there was only one video line in for the rear camera. I think thats the only RCA for a camera.

But the cameras I see online sometimes have 2 RCA wires. or 2 RCA wires and one plug that looks like a headphone jack that for power.

This is what Im taking about...

3 wire cameras:
[url=http://discountave.net/caborevica.html]http://discountave.net/caborevica.html[/url]

2 wire cameras:
[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270030351307&category=32826]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=32826[/url]

If the AVIC only has one video input for the camera, what is the other RCA wire for?

And how to I get power to the black power jack thingy?

If someone can explain that to me or show me a camera I can use, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ramman
The white rca is for the mic that is built into the rear camera. Most of the time that just gets taped up and left alone. As for the power, the camera will come with the male end that plugs into the power connector. THen you just supply switched power and ground and you're good to go.
[quote name="cntrylvr79"]The white rca is for the mic that is built into the rear camera. Most of the time that just gets taped up and left alone. As for the power, the camera will come with the male end that plugs into the power connector. THen you just supply switched power and ground and you're good to go.[/quote]

Ah... I see. Thank you VERY much.

Anyone here using a non pioneer camera? Like the ebay ones?
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote name="jimmy303"]One of the best cameras on the market in my opinion is the Pioneer ND-BC1. There are, however, some cameras that are nearly as good for much less, but finding one is usually a crapshoot.[/quote]

that was a pretty general statement which wasn't very helpful. maybe you can elaborate on why the nd-bc1 is good, and hopefully someone can address my other questions...
I have the ND-BC1 just because I got it in a package deal.
No way I would have spent the $160 they cost on eBay for it.

It does, however, have a very sharp image. Sharpest I've seen yet, but all the other cameras I've seen are cheap Chinese ones so that might not be a very good guide. It also has a wider viewing angle than most of the Chinese cameras, even if the actual spec is the same. Apparently, some sellers on eBay have managed to get by with misleading viewing angle specs? I guess you can measure it in more than one way. Light sensitivity is also very good on the BC1.

Another benefit to it is size. It's the shallowest camera I've been able to find. I could be off a little bit, but I don't think it's much more than 3/4" deep. Most of the other cameras I've seen are twice as deep if not more.

One thing no one has mentioned are other name-brand cameras though. I saw Kenwood's camera actually has a wider viewing angle, and I'm guessing being a reputable brand they don't use misleading Chinese specs. Never seen it in action myself though.
shawn,

thanks for the lengthy explanation. i'm considering getting the pioneer camera but i'm wondering how it'll look. will it blend in well with the car or will it be blatantly obvious to others that there's a backup camera installed... and will some punk kid just yank it and take off with it or damage it?

the backup cameras i've seen on oem suv's blend in real well and isn't very noticeable. i'm wondering if the same can be achieved with this.
What will you be installing it on?
I think if you could put it inside some factory piece on the rear, it could be made very unnoticeable. Although the square glass piece over the lens isn't that small, the actual lens itself is very small so I think a 1/4" hole is all it would need. If you have to surface mount it, it might not blend in as well, but I think it'll blend in better than the key cylinder sized ones.

On the other hand, if your vehicle has a key cylinder on its trunk/tailgate, you could directly replace it with a key cylinder sized camera.
I've installed this camera behind a 3/4" hole in the license plate, and the viewing area is so large, I can still see the edges of the hole with the camera centered perfectly. The night performance of the ND-BC1 is awesome, considering it's not infrared.