AVIC411.com

I might LOSE my AIRBAGS on INSTALL?!?!

I just called scosche to find out what harness and dash kit I'd need.

The rep told me that for my vehicle (2008 Suzuki XL7), I'll need the following harness (GM22SR)...which costs $130!

He told me that without that harness...I'd lose my door chime and AIR BAGS!

What in the ****? He said GM has been doing that for a while now. Have you guys run into this before?

Am I really stuck paying that much for a stinking wiring harness?

What do you guys suggest...did any of you get around this issue?

I just called scosche's tech support and the tech told me the same thing. He said that the LAN unit is a computer interface and everything in the car talks to each other. Without that LAN unit...things might not function properly.

Anyone feel like questioning scosche on this...I'm not as technically versed so he might just be selling me on this harness...the number is (800) 363-4490 ext 1 for sales or ext 3 for tech support.

My car is a 2008 Suzuki XL7.

I can't believe this...I talked to the tech and told him that it's unsafe to do that...what if someone just stole my radio...that means I might not have airbags?! He said, it could happen...things just will not work properly without that interface to communicate to...

man this really has me concerned about by 2006 ford fusion. I know there is a $130 harness for it. I have the cheap one though. Does anyone know if this is true with the 06 ford fusion?

I did get in an accident, rear-ended from 30mph with this installed an my airbags DID NOT go off. Just want to make sure thats normal :(

man this really has me concerned about by 2006 ford fusion. I know there is a $130 harness for it. I have the cheap one though. Does anyone know if this is true with the 06 ford fusion?

I did get in an accident, rear-ended from 30mph with this installed an my airbags DID NOT go off. Just want to make sure thats normal :(

That's normal,

Air bags only typically inflate on a negative G (deceleration) impact (a frontal collision). Being rear ended causes a positive G acceleration, and pushes you back into your seat, not towards the windshield.

tdoss, I'm not familiar with Suzuki's, so I don't want to give you a yes/no type of answer.

However, I have yet to come across a car that has the airbags tied into the radio harness. Now, I'm not saying it's impossible....I just think it's unlikely that removing/replacing the radio would cause the airbags not to work.

One of the installers on the forum will be able to confirm this with their wiring diagram sheets.

tdoss, I'm not familiar with Suzuki's, so I don't want to give you a yes/no type of answer.

However, I have yet to come across a car that has the airbags tied into the radio harness. Now, I'm not saying it's impossible....I just think it's unlikely that removing/replacing the radio would cause the airbags not to work.

One of the installers on the forum will be able to confirm this with their wiring diagram sheets.

I agree...it sounds ridiculous. I argued with the tech and the sales guy. I told them, "Then why don't you say that in your list of features of the harness? You list things like, "Retains Door Chimes"...don't you think you should list, "Retains Airbag functionality?!??!"

They told me, "It's not with all models that use that harness...so we couldn't list that...no."

Anyone else care to give them a call and double check my findings? Any installer out there know for a fact?

I mean, the only way for me to find out is if I hit something and my airbags don't deploy.

The chime is related to the airbags, thats all. It's a warning system, just like the warning lights on the cluster. If the cluster fails, and there is an issue with the airbag system, the back up is the chimes, which will go off continually if there is an issue. Also, if the airbag light stays on in the cluster, it is also followed by a chime or two indicating a problem when the car first starts up.

Scosche obviously will not tell you it's ok to lose a warning system, for legal issues.

Get what I'm saying here?

The chime is related to the airbags, thats all. It's a warning system, just like the warning lights on the cluster. If the cluster fails, and there is an issue with the airbag system, the back up is the chimes, which will go off continually if there is an issue. Also, if the airbag light stays on in the cluster, it is also followed by a chime or two indicating a problem when the car first starts up.

Scosche obviously will not tell you it's ok to lose a warning system, for legal issues.

Get what I'm saying here?

Ok...so basically...if I'm understanding this all correctly is:

If I went without the harness and wired directly or bought some cheap knockoff harness...then the worst possible scenario is that I'd lose the chime feature for my parking break, doors and air bags.

That's it? It's just the chime?

I pushed that with the tech and sales guy...I told them that it makes no sense and asked specifically do they mean the chime...and I couldn't pin them down. So, I get the feeling you're correct.

It's just dumb...someone steals my radio and wham...I've got no airbags? Salesmen piss me off...he could've just been upfront about that. Now that he wasn't I'm either going to go with Metra's version or some other solution...screw scosche.

If you go with no module, you will lose any audible warnings, as well as onstar, and retained accessory power (you'll have to run your own accessory power). With alot of modules, they also give you VSS wire, illumination wire (dimming at night) and a parking brake wire.

Just go with a module, it will make things much easier when installing. Some factory amplifiers will also not turn on unless a module is used.

On the Ford mentioned above, no issues at all not using a module.

If you go with no module, you will lose any audible warnings, as well as onstar, and retained accessory power (you'll have to run your own accessory power). With alot of modules, they also give you VSS wire, illumination wire (dimming at night) and a parking brake wire.

Just go with a module, it will make things much easier when installing. Some factory amplifiers will also not turn on unless a module is used.

On the Ford mentioned above, no issues at all not using a module.

OK...now I fully understand...thanks for your time.

I think I'm going with Metra's GMOS-LAN-01. Apparently, that is Metra's version of the GM22SR from Scosche.

I read on Crutchfield that I'd also lose the "clicks" from my turn signal...even with the harness...unless I installed a SPDT relay. I wonder, will any SPDT relay do?

Like I've said...I've got the F90 and now have the Alpine PKG-M780 Headrest monitors...and I've talked to an installer who says he can do the bypass and install everything, including a $50 video amp for $250 total (that includes parts and labor). That sounds like a pretty good deal, no?

I'm trying to verify with him what harness he'll use...both metra and scosche are around $100, so I'm not sure how he's able to pull this off.