AVIC411.com

Fixed my iPhone 3GS problem. When the "This Accessory Is Not Compatible With This iPhone" message comes up....hit Yes. It will turn on Airplane Mode, and you can then use your iPhone like an iPod plugged into the system. You can then turn Airplane Mode off and it will continue to play. When you unplug and plug the iPhone back in, it will work automatically but still have the message popup. It will clear itself and you can continue using your iPhone. Ta-da!

You're missing the point, when it says "this accessory is not compatible, do you want to turn on airplane mode?" just say no, everything should still work fine. Unless the 3Gs does something new and different unlike all previous iphones. The warning is there only because the AVIC isn't saying "I'm iphone approved" not because anything specific isn't supported.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I find it hard to believe that Pioneer sold me a firewire pinned charger a year and a half ago. Is it more likely that the F700 is the culprit? Can anyone with the F700 charge their iPhone?

What specifically would we look for in a cable to ensure it will work with the 3G S? Would it just say compatible with 3G S or is there some specific detail that would indicate tat it is okay. I only bought my pioneer cable a year and a half ago. I'm surprised Pioneer didnt make it to Apple's specs.

Cables should not have been using the firewire ports for several years, I don't know of an easy way to physically tell the difference, however cables that come with recent ipods and iphones are good, as would be any cable that says it supports the iphone 3G (and in theory any iphone).

Here's a link to the official error and some background http://www.appletell.com/apple/comment/ ... -on-ipods/

While Apple apparently announced this upcoming change to manufactures of “Made for iPod†accessories back in 2005, Apple only formerly discontinued Firewire charging support with the most recent iPods. New iPods and iPhones can only charge via the USB pin.

We're talking a change that Apple made almost FOUR years ago!

Well, I find it hard to believe that Pioneer sold me a firewire pinned charger a year and a half ago. Is it more likely that the F700 is the culprit? Can anyone with the F700 charge their iPhone?

Yes, my iphone 3G charges JUST fine with my JVC-built cable on my F700BT.

But not a 3GS? Can anyone successfully charge a 3GS using the F700?

But not a 3GS? Can anyone successfully charge a 3GS using the F700?

The 3Gs should not behave any differently then an iphone 3G in regards to charging, power, and pinouts.

The 3Gs should not behave any differently then an iphone 3G in regards to charging, power, and pinouts.

I'm not sure that is true. I may try to test a friend's 3G. If his also doesn't charge then it would almost certainly be the cable. If his does work, well then that's not good. :(

I'll post my results.

Still waiting to get an opportunity to test my cable on a 3G, but I happened to find my cable's model number:

"Pioneer CD-IU230V iPod Audio/Video Direct Cable for AVIC-F900BT and AVIC-F700BT"

Unfortunately, another poster has stated that their 3GS charges and plays audio and video fine using this same cable on the F900. Could this mean the the F700BT - 3GS combo won't charge? We'll see.

Still waiting to get an opportunity to test my cable on a 3G, but I happened to find my cable's model number:

"Pioneer CD-IU230V iPod Audio/Video Direct Cable for AVIC-F900BT and AVIC-F700BT"

Unfortunately, another poster has stated that their 3GS charges and plays audio and video fine using this same cable on the F900. Could this mean the the F700BT - 3GS combo won't charge? We'll see.

I believe you're not getting the point, there's no difference in the way the 700 or 900 charges, there's nothing special here preventing your 3Gs other then the cable.. it's very possible there are variations in the cables.

Well user F90BT says:

My 32gb 3gs (and another 32gb 3gs, my dad's) both work perfectly with my f90 using the pioneer cd-iu230v cable that it shipped with. Video, audio, charging and bluetooth all work consistently thus far

And you say your 3G charges/plays on the F700BT. I can only assume you also have the pioneer cd-iu230v.

But my (and other's) 3GS doesn't charge using the cd-iu230v cable connected to the F700BT.

I'd still like to test a friends 3G to be sure but the only thing i can derive from this (assuming no one is making stuff up) is that the 3GS doesn't charge on the F700BT. And, I know it shouldn't matter but it seems they just aren't jiving.

However, if you don't have the CD-IU230V then you must have the missing link to solving this situation.

I have the 32gb iPhone 3GS. I also have the AVIC F90BT. With My system, when I originally got it, I had the iPhone 3G. The cable that came with the AVIC worked....somewhat. My results were that there was no video on that cable, and I received a trickle charge. By trickle charge, I mean, it was so slow, Id have to have it plugged in for hours for it to receive anything useful.

To receive video on my 3G at the time (and works on my iPhone 3GS now), I purchased the Apple COMPOSITE AV Cable (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB129 ... Mzk4NzUwMA). It works great, however I do not receive a charge with it.

I did read a post out there how people have made work arounds for this to charge the iPhone. It requires a USB Y-Cable and a secondary power supply. The way that works, is the Y cable plugs in to the AVIC then splits it, so that one cable goes to the iPhone and the other to the power supply. The power supply provides USB power. There are many ways out there to do this. If I had the time, I would do it myself. But I know this method works.

You may try the cd-iu230v cable from pioneer. It reportedly works with the F90 and the 3GS.

I have the 32gb iPhone 3GS. I also have the AVIC F90BT. With My system, when I originally got it, I had the iPhone 3G. The cable that came with the AVIC worked....somewhat. My results were that there was no video on that cable, and I received a trickle charge. By trickle charge, I mean, it was so slow, Id have to have it plugged in for hours for it to receive anything useful.

To receive video on my 3G at the time (and works on my iPhone 3GS now), I purchased the Apple COMPOSITE AV Cable (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB129 ... Mzk4NzUwMA). It works great, however I do not receive a charge with it.

I did read a post out there how people have made work arounds for this to charge the iPhone. It requires a USB Y-Cable and a secondary power supply. The way that works, is the Y cable plugs in to the AVIC then splits it, so that one cable goes to the iPhone and the other to the power supply. The power supply provides USB power. There are many ways out there to do this. If I had the time, I would do it myself. But I know this method works.

3gs and f700 combo is working perfectly for me using the 2.0 firmware and official pioneer cable. Music, video and charging!!

The cable I use is this one :

Pioneer iPod Interface Cable (CD-IU230V)

I have the exact same cable and my F700 / 3gS does not work for charging. Video and Audio play fine. Interesting. 2.0 firmware as well.

tk, do you still get the warning that this accessory isn't made to work with the iPhone?

This is very interesting yet confusing.