AVIC411.com

HDD swap and those horrible 4 screws

I am not sure what the profanity guidelines are for this forum, but I am sure I would exceed them by properly addressing this topic. The two Torx #8s came out without a hitch.

Those 4 that hold the drive to the sled are a freaking nightmare. Who thought that was a good idea? I went with the dremmel a slot and remove that way. My GOOD #0 phillips couldn't get those obstinate little bastards out. I think they might be made of Loc-tite.

Anyway...just had to rant somewhere that people would understand. Now I get to reload all my CDs again, and the very first one wasn't in the latest database. What joy. The newer maps better be worth it. :)

They can be quite difficult. The first few times I had to take them out they turned just fine. I took my HD out a couple of weeks ago to update the XM Icons and not a single one would budge. I ended up rigging my external hard drive housing so that I could hook it up without taking the screws out...

• 2 weeks later...

my own experience with those m-f'n screws pasted from this thread (my full post on page 10 midway down)

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9446&start=135

"6) I did everything as described. All went well with the following exception.

> I could not get the screws loose on my Z1HD Caddy. truly funny... I do major auto repair, and have rarely encountered this kind of difficulty. I used my dremel to cut them out. and replace them with new screws. The down side is that the cut-off screws remain in the original HD. hope I never need to reinstall that one."

I am not sure what the profanity guidelines are for this forum, but I am sure I would exceed them by properly addressing this topic. The two Torx #8s came out without a hitch.

Those 4 that hold the drive to the sled are a freaking nightmare. Who thought that was a good idea? I went with the dremmel a slot and remove that way. My GOOD #0 phillips couldn't get those obstinate little bastards out. I think they might be made of Loc-tite.

Anyway...just had to rant somewhere that people would understand. Now I get to reload all my CDs again, and the very first one wasn't in the latest database. What joy. The newer maps better be worth it. :)

The way that I found works the best for these screws is to take the 0 philips and grind the tip off of it so that it isn't a point anymore, pulls them out everytime, only done this on three drives as of late, but it pulled them out without a hitch.

Mike

• 3 months later...

Hey syclnjr, that sounds like a very good idea!

If you damage a screw, I would like to add this tip, I am not sure if I came up with it myself.

I would like to think so :wink:

1. Fail unscrewing one or more hard drive tray screws.

2. With a fine hacksaw (maybe any small model saw will work, these screws have soft metal) - saw a groove right across the top of the screw. The hard drive tray will maybe get som scuffs but it will not get harmed.

3. Unscrew with a flat screwdriver!

Another tip for when the database won´t cough up the artist name and song titles of your cd:

1. Rip the music in your favourite music library software, the software will find the artist and track names.

2. Burn an audio CD with CD-text (iTunes and other software can do this) and the Avic unit will keep this data when recording.

Good Luck, and stay frosty!

I just found some of those screws on ebay, I was looking for those for a long time but couldn't find them, because mine are all striped, and all the ones I've found has a thicker head. But someone is selling the screws on ebay now for the Pioneer AVIC. Just search for "AVIC Screws".

It just so happens that the torx screws that hold the printed circuit board to some hard drives (ie some western digital) will work to replace those awful philips screws. In my case the torx screws I used off an old WD HD were actually the same size torx as the 2 screws that hold the HD door closed on the AVIC so one screwdriver does them all.

If you happen to bugger the philips ones up and you are in a pinch to find replacements visit any local computer repair shop and see if they have any old HD's laying around and ask for the screws. At the shop I went to the tech actually had a whole container full of them as he happened to take them out and keep them.

• 1 month later...

Hold the hard drive in your palm with the screw you want to work on at the base of your thumb. Hold firmly but don't break the drive. Push inward pretty firmly as you start to turn the screw - very slow, and you will break the friction holding the screw in. Repeat on the other 3 screws before taking them out completely. It's a finesse thing, if you have a solid knack for f***ing things up, maybe talk to someone who you know is better at this sort of thing. Otherwise get your Dremel out and slot those screws and never look back!

USE A GOOD screwdriver. Toomey's screwdriver that he includes with the HDD kit works PERFECT. I didn't even come close to stripping a screw.

Thanks Garrett! There WAS some life left in my Z1-->Z3. WOOHOO. :mrgreen: