AVIC411.com

Torn.... XM vs. Sirius

They were in a legal battle with ClearChannel for years over the rights to put commercials on certain stations because ClearChannel claimed it was part of the deal to invest in XM before it launched. ClearChannel won so we got commercials. I agree on the Sirius recommendation, have barely listened to XM since I got Sirius, but the traffic is nice to have

[quote name="cntrylvr79"]So I have a question now. When the hell did xm start running commercials on their music stations. This sucks. Theonly reason I'm keeping this thing is because I got it for free. once the subscription is up it's back to sirius for me.[/quote]
[quote name="cntrylvr79"]So I have a question now. When the hell did xm start running commercials on their music stations. This sucks. Theonly reason I'm keeping this thing is because I got it for free. once the subscription is up it's back to sirius for me.[/quote]
Only the 5 channels (maybe its 6) out of the 175 channels run actual commercials on it. Ironically these channels are owned by Clear Channel, and are identified with a lower-case "cm" after the channel name on the screen. When XM first launched, it had a contract with Clear Channel to help promote its service, and in return Clear Channel had rights to program these channels for x amount of years (i think it is up next year). For the first few years, Clear Channel agreed not to air commercials on these channels, but that part of the agreement has since expired, and they have been playing commercials for about 2 months now. Let me know if you have any other questions on XM. I try to keep up with whats going on with them :)