AVIC411.com

F Series power off/reboot while car is on.

I was wondering if there is a way to turn off a f700bt (not by turning the car off obv.)

Also, is there a way to do a hard reboot without turning the car off and on??

I did do a forum search before asking this question....

Thanks in advance.

No turn off. TO reboot, hit the reset button.

why would you want to turn it off, turn off the screen if you dont want to see anythin...

sometimes the only way I can get the ipod to connect after a failed connection is to reboot the unit. Currently I do this by turning the car off and then clutch starting it while going down the road. It would be nice to just press a button.

why would you want to turn it off, turn off the screen if you dont want to see anythin...

sometimes the only way I can get the ipod to connect after a failed connection is to reboot the unit. Currently I do this by turning the car off and then clutch starting it while going down the road. It would be nice to just press a button.

It should be possible to add a button to the Navi screen that would call some illegal code, causing iGO to crash, which will reboot the headunit...

I always just take the stylus and push the little reset button by the eject. Takes half a second then you wait for reboot, a whole lot eh, safer then turning off your vehicle while cruising, can't believe you do that, seriously.

Other then that there is an off button in the lower right corner on the select audio source screen. All this does is make the audio mute and the screen says off in th elower left corner.

Why would you need a physical off button? I think the point is due to the long boot up time to keep it always on. If it really bothers you you can always put in some kind of a acc cut off switch. You hit the on off switch, physical off. Super cheap at numerous stores etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to add a toggle switch to mine. It freezes up every ounce in awhile and needs to be rebooted. I got sick and tired of having to pull over and turn my truck off and then back on, a real pain in the ass. Just cut the accessory wire and run it through a toggle switch, problem solved.

I have a very small push-button switch mounted on my dash. Thats wired into a relay that is wired to the switched 12v on the avic(red wire) If it locks up i push the button and release it and its the same as turning the key off then back on. works great for when the bt hangs on me.

Real quick question on this topic. I want to do the same thing, and picked up a momentary switch from radio shack. The switch is rated at 12v 50mA. Anyone know if the 50mA rating is too low to run the Accessory wire through?

I know the answer is to check the Amps on the wire, but i thought i would risk the abuse here in hopes of finding out BEFORE open the dash. :)

Any help is appreciated.

- dan

Real quick question on this topic. I want to do the same thing, and picked up a momentary switch from radio shack. The switch is rated at 12v 50mA. Anyone know if the 50mA rating is too low to run the Accessory wire through?

I know the answer is to check the Amps on the wire, but i thought i would risk the abuse here in hopes of finding out BEFORE open the dash. :)

Any help is appreciated.

- dan

Is it a Normally open or Normally closed Momentary Switch? because that will determine what way you will have to wire it up... and depending on how you wire it up the Amperage will not matter.

Aftermarket momentary switches in the automotive industry are generally Normally open... which means that the circuit is connected when the switch is pressed in and there is no connection at rest.

Thanks, for the quick reply. To correct my previous post, it is a tactile switch, so I am beginning to think it is not the right switch for the job. I'd say normally closed, but let me describe the switch config, since it allows for either way.

There are four prongs, A, B, C, D. When in normal position, A and B are closed. When depressed, A and B are open, A and D are closed (not sure about B and C, didn't check cause at that point I stopped checking). So my intention is to connect the power leads to A and B. If the unit hangs, press the switch to cut the connection (hold down if needed), then release to allow for reboot.

I was going to attach the other ends of the leads to male and female plug in connectors (have no idea what they are called) to allow the switch to be easily disconnected. (Switch A prong connected to wire, connected to male plug, Switch B prong connected to wire and female plug, and the Acc wire will have a male and female plug).

My concern (or question) with the switch and the plugs is that since power will be constant through these, what is the risk of overheating? I know 50mA is very low, and admittedly (and obviously) I have NO experience with this stuff (but I can solder!!). :)

Thanks for the input.

- dan