AVIC411.com

F Series power off/reboot while car is on.

I was wondering if there is a way to turn off a f700bt (not by turning the car off obv.)

Also, is there a way to do a hard reboot without turning the car off and on??

I did do a forum search before asking this question....

Thanks in advance.

In one of the menus there is an "OFF" button. Press it and it turns off.

In one of the menus there is an "OFF" button. Press it and it turns off.

Really?

No it does not turn it off it just turns the screen off... but the unit is still alive and fully functional.

Thanks, for the quick reply. To correct my previous post, it is a tactile switch, so I am beginning to think it is not the right switch for the job. I'd say normally closed, but let me describe the switch config, since it allows for either way.

There are four prongs, A, B, C, D. When in normal position, A and B are closed. When depressed, A and B are open, A and D are closed (not sure about B and C, didn't check cause at that point I stopped checking). So my intention is to connect the power leads to A and B. If the unit hangs, press the switch to cut the connection (hold down if needed), then release to allow for reboot.

I was going to attach the other ends of the leads to male and female plug in connectors (have no idea what they are called) to allow the switch to be easily disconnected. (Switch A prong connected to wire, connected to male plug, Switch B prong connected to wire and female plug, and the Acc wire will have a male and female plug).

My concern (or question) with the switch and the plugs is that since power will be constant through these, what is the risk of overheating? I know 50mA is very low, and admittedly (and obviously) I have NO experience with this stuff (but I can solder!!). :)

Thanks for the input.

- dan

Yes 50mA is very low... I am not sure what the draw is on the screen but if you want to set up a fairly simple way to shut off the power to the accy on the head unit you can use a momentary (spring loaded push button) switch and a SPDT relay to do your interrupt. Here is how...

On the relay there will be terminals labeled 30, 85, 86, 87, and 87a. Take the Accy output from the vehicle and connect it to the 86 and 87a. Then take the 30 and connect that to the Accy input to the headunit. Leave the 87 not connected to anything but make sure that you insulate that terminal so it cannot touch anything. And the final connection is where you would take the 85 and connect that to the one side of the momentary switch then the other side of the switch you will wire to ground. BAM every time you press in the momentary switch it will interrupt the accy wire and shut off the radio just like turning off the key of the car, and it will keep that wire disconnected the entire time you hold that switch in, by using this method you can restart your screen without loosing any of your programmed settings. On average a standard Bosch SPDT relay will handle up to 30A safely which is WAY over kill for what you are looking to do but it will do the job!!

• 1 month later...