AVIC411.com

2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab

I bought an AVIC-F90BT to go in my 2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab. I could not get the unit to turn on. I followed all of the instructions I saw on here for the video bypass. Now, the seller wants me to use his technical support on Monday. I need to know what the "power" wire for the parking brake is. I'm sure they are going to ask me this. Can anyone tell me what color the wire is and where I can find it? Thanks.

Also, I need to know what color the wire is for the ignition power for the factory head unit. Apparently, the red wire on my factory-matched harness is useless. I thought that I had received a dead unit, but I spliced the constant power and ignition power wires and it worked! The factory radio had to have had ignition power, so if anyone knows which wire it is, please help! Thanks.

There is not ignition switched power on that vehicle. The factory radio turns on from a data signal sent through the radio. Its called can bus and most newer vehicles use this type of system. You need to use the correct wiring harness for everything to work right. Metra XSVI-6502-NAV for standard audio system or Metra CHTO-01 if you have an infinity system. http://www.metraonline.com

Since I posted, I've been doing some research and found out what you mentioned about can bus. So theoretically, as there is no acc power in the factory harness, I just need to find another wire that is linked to the ignition, right? The problem is that even the 12v accessory plugs (cigarette lighter, etc.) actually stay on at all times. Is there any other wire in the entire system that is linked to the ignition? What about the ignition itself? When I had a sub amp running off my factory unit, I found a fuse in the engine compartment that ran ONLY WHEN THE ENGINE WAS RUNNING. This is a last resort, as I'd rather do that than have to wire it to a switch (I'd forget to turn the damn thing off)!!! I would just order the interface kit, but I've had my unit for a week now and still haven't gotten to enjoy it yet. Once I get something going, though, I might order that for the speed sensor.

Yes you could do that as long as its not an infinity sound system in your ram. in that case you have to either use the harnes or completely bypass the factory amp. I am an installer for a company and I only recommend doing it the correct way. with the harness. Under no circumstance would I install it without the harness even if it was my own vehicle or a friends. The way I see things is you spent how many thousands of dollars on a nice truck, why on earth would you not want to correctly install a radio into it. Always less problems when things are done right.

I would reccomend getting the harness... It will make things wayyyyy easier. But if I remember correctly you will have two power points (cig plugs) in the dash. One will have a picture of a battery (constant power) the other will have a picture of a key (switched ACC) If yours has two the one with the key just run a jumper from that to the AVIC and you have your turn on. BUT...... you must count the number of speaker wires that come out of the factory harness... if you have eight total wires then you are good to go (standard audio system) If you only have one row of wires a total of four (CAN BUS Audio) then you don't have any other option you must purchase the $150 harness! That harness converts everything over for the audio network as well as the ACC turn on.