AVIC411.com

F910BT vs F710BT

Hello everyone.

I can see from the Pioneer website that the F710BT cannot play DVD discs & DivX files from CD and DVD, whereas the F910BT can.

The spec says both can play "MPEG4 video from SD card and USB". Interestingly, it doesn't say "DivX". Can anyone tell me what container formats and codecs work?

As far as I can see the only other difference is that the F910BT has "Multi-Sensor Navigation". Anyone know what practical difference that is in the UK / Europe?

...Trying to decide if it;s worth the extra £200-£250

Thanks

Hello everyone.

I can see from the Pioneer website that the F710BT cannot play DVD discs & DivX files from CD and DVD, whereas the F910BT can.

The spec says both can play "MPEG4 video from SD card and USB". Interestingly, it doesn't say "DivX". Can anyone tell me what container formats and codecs work?

As far as I can see the only other difference is that the F910BT has "Multi-Sensor Navigation". Anyone know what practical difference that is in the UK / Europe?

...Trying to decide if it;s worth the extra £200-£250

Thanks

Same difference as between the 700 and 900....

910 has DVD drive, 710 CD drive

910 has speedpulse input (mult--sensor nav), 710 doesn't

910 has RCA outputs for external amp, 710 doesn't

Thanks for that.

So can the F710BT play .avi /mpg /mkv / wmv from SD?... & if so using what codecs?

What difference does it make in real terms if the unit has speedpulse input or not?

Basically the speedpulse input allows the unit to continue calculating position in situations where there is no, or bad, GPS satelite reception. Think about tunnels, in between high buildings, forrest, underground garages etc.

Also, GPS updates are once per second, speedpuls is almost continuous allowing faster position updates, resulting in more timely direction instructions and smoother map updates.

What difference does it make in real terms if the unit has speedpulse input or not?

Basically the speedpulse input allows the unit to continue calculating position in situations where there is no, or bad, GPS satelite reception. Think about tunnels, in between high buildings, forrest, underground garages etc. Also, GPS updates are once per second, speedpuls is almost continuous allowing faster position updates, resulting in more timely direction instructions and smoother map updates.

I see - that makes sense, thanks.

So does anyone else know if the F710BT can play .avi /mpg /mkv / wmv from SD?... & if so using what codecs?

Just take a look here:

http://docs.pioneer.eu/Manuals/AVIC_F71 ... 89_manual/

...and go to page 152ff in the manual browser.

It should answer all of your questions.

Thanks for that. I did look at the manual at this link: http://docs.pioneer.eu/Manuals/AVIC_F71 ... etPDF.ashx

Unfortunately, I'm still confused. In those pages in the manual it says for "SD memory

card (All models)", under "Divx": "DivX files on the external storage device (USB, SD) cannot be played."

It also says .avi files can be played from removable media and lists "MPEG-4" as a "compatible video codec".

But , given MPEG-4 is not a codec but a standard that popular codecs use (like Blackbird, Cinepak,Xvid, etc.), I assumed it meant "an MPEG-4 compliant video codec". The puzzling part is that DivX is also an MPEG-4 compliant video codec.

And there are several posts in these forums that say both 900 & 700 can play DivX from removable media.

I'd appreciate if someone could clarify. Thanks

I tried asking this question several weeks ago elsewhere and did not get anywhere with it. I suggest just trying to convert to an mp4 file. don't worry about the codecs you use just try it and see what works. I've converted one avi to mp4, I forget which program I used it was awhile ago. Just try searching for a free one on google. just try to use the right size resolution or else it will look small on the screen. (black boxes all around) i don't have time to dig for more info but apparently this thread has everything you need

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21389

I suggest just trying to convert ...and see what works.

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21389

Thanks for the link - I had read that too, but it refers to firmware version 2.0 and it seems they concluded buying an iPod was the best option, instead.

Yes, trial and error would be the definitive test. I'm just trying to avoid a £1000+ experiment & hours of converting my video library if the answer is already known.

It occurred to me that loading coreplayer might be another option. There is a post on here about somebody getting coreplayer sort of running but it involves modifying somebody else's "leetlauncher", and apparently is for firmware version 2.0

Ah yes another FAQ, I wonder how many times this has been asked over the last 12 months. I count a new thread every month shouldn't it be x series now though?

Hmmmm. Is this sarcasm, or one of those useless hostile and posts that itself provides no value, for which this forum is famous ?

If not perhaps you'd care to direct me the relevant FAQ answer. I looked & I didn't find the answer for these models. Frequently asked and frequently answered are not the same thing, of course.

Same difference as between the 700 and 900....

910 has DVD drive, 710 CD drive

910 has speedpulse input (mult--sensor nav), 710 doesn't

910 has RCA outputs for external amp, 710 doesn't

#3 wrong... the 710 910 both have amp outputs. 3 to be exact front, rear, and subwoofer.

The difference is output voltages on these but unless your planning a show car or you're using some really cheap RCA cables in a long cable run voltage doesn't make much of a difference.

edit: take that back... the voltages are the same on the new models so there is no difference on the preamp outs.

For video though if your not using an ipod or some other device connect to either of the aux ins the 910 or the z series is the only way to go. I have never been able to get acceptable video quality out of any of the supported codecs on my F700, the supported bitrates are just too low for good video. Using my ipod or connecting my phone to the front Aux jack has been the only way I can get decent video out of the thing. I bet on the 910 using either a burned DVD or a divx file on disc will give very good quality video since it has a dedicated hardware decoder that supports a decent bitrate.

Also, the 910 allows a rear seat monitor but it is not dual zone capable like the Z series.

...I have never been able to get acceptable video quality out of any of the supported codecs on my F700, the supported bitrates are just too low for good video.... I bet on the 910 ...will give very good quality video since it has a dedicated hardware decoder that supports a decent bitrate..

Thanks for sharing your practical experience of the F700. That's very helpful. Are you running version 3 firmware or version 2?

I think I'll wait until somebody posts something similar about their 910, before deciding which way to go.

Kcmuppet

I have been using my ipod to play videos on my f700bt and it has worked amazingly well. If you can afford it I suggest buying an ipod capable of video and the RCA/USB cable interface for the pioneer that plugs directly into an ipod, couldn't be happier with the results going this route. you get full control of the ipod off of the deck you can just put your ipod in the glovebox while playing video and music.

If thats not an option and I really do feel you've been helped more then enough to get what you wanted. Sorry if your offended by this but by now I feel you are just being lazy. You don't have spend a dime to test free software that will do exactly what you want, which is converting avi's into an MP4 that the avic F series, yes including the F700bt are more then happy to accept and play. It does a poor job in doing so ,nothing to do with the video files but has to do with the hardware itself. and yes I will hold your hand once again and show you where you can find multiple free programs that will do this converting for you and can read peoples reviews on how well the software works.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?toolsear ... me&hits=50

I have been using my ipod to play videos on my f700bt...

...you've been helped more then enough to get what you wanted. Sorry if your offended by this but by now I feel you are just being lazy.

:lol: !

So it's lazy to want to see if anyone here has experience of getting it to work before spending £800-1000+ and hours converting 500+ videos for something that might not work, which is mis-specified in the manual and there are no FAQs and or other posts here that deal with specifically,... ?

And your quota of 'help' is "buy another piece of hardware to do the job instead"...based on your experience of...a different model, running different firmware.? Gee thanks. Don't be offended if I don't reach for your hand :wink: