AVIC411.com

I'm worried with my F700BT....is it less than I thought?

I am installing an AVIC F700BT in a 2000 Corvette C5 and have a couple of questions. Point of reference I am a total newbie to installing electronic equipment, hence the simplistic nature of my questions. I have completely torn out the interior of my vette and I've done a number of upgrades so I can do it once I have the info. Also, I did a search and have partial info I need (Thanks!!) but can someone help with a clarification and a couple of questions

1. I understand the F700BT does not need/require a VSS wire. I thought this was absolutely necessary for navigation. How much loss in navigation ability will result from not having the VSS hooked up? I've read some post where members indicate not much loss but can someone confirm how much degradation? Does running the reverse wire somehow compensate for the VSS? I'm not going to play DVD's and that's why I didn't get the 900 series but now I'm concerned I have much less of a nav unit than I hoped for with the absence of the VSS....

2. I see some posts recommending the purchase of a wiring harness? Doesn't Pioneer supply everything necessary to install? If so what does the harness get me?

3. I am keeping the stock Bose speakers but have an adapter from Peripheral to be able to run my stock speakers with the AVIC. I purchased used and don't have the install instructions. Dumb question: Where do I plug the Peripheral to stock setup and then to the Avic?

Thanks for the great support and information.

seeker, I am far from an expert, but I would assume that if you can tear out the interior of your vette, you can probably figure out how to install your 700

1. In regard to VSS, my understanding is that this connection would mainly serve to assist your avic in keeping track of your progress should you lose GPS signal for a short period of time. ie: in a tunnel. Other then that most will say it is not necessary as handheld/portables have no VSS to hook up.

2 & 3. In most cases, a purchased wiring harness would allow you to connect to your factory/car harness without having to cut and splice wires. The wires coming from your AVIC would have to be soldered/connected to one end of the purchased harness (this can be done before installation) and the other end would simply plug to your factory/car harness. Having said that, I am not familiar with the Bose system/Peripheral adapter. That may serve the same purpose, but I couldn't say for sure. I believe if you do a search, there are a few threads pertaining to Bose and AVIC that may be useful to you.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

1. As nipLVII said its not a big deal. Think about all of the dash mounted GPS units sold - they work fine and I've had no problems with my F700BT. Its pretty quick to lock in a GPS signal so tunnels really aren't an issue.

2. You've mentioned you're farther along in the install but I'll answer anyways. A wiring harness plugs into the stock stereo connector and provides labelled leads for power, ground, speakers, remote turn on, etc. Its a MUST for any install. If for no other reason it saves you from having to hack up the OEM wiring (which usually isn't properly labelled or color coded).

3. You probably don't really need an adaptor. Most aftermarket car speakers are 4 ohms, your oem Bose speakers are probably 2 ohms. I'll skip the physics and state that if you don't drive around with the volume set to max you shouldn't have a problem. I ran 2 ohm speakers off an Eclipse deck for 4 years and never had an issue and I'm doing now with my AVIC.

Good luck with the install!

1. in Europe the F700 doesn't have a VSS cable so if that's the same in the US no worries then (should be stated in the manual). the f900 does have a VSS cable and it's wise to use it as i creates a more accurate GPS position.

take it to best buy or circuit city... you dont need to be fiddling with it if you have no real experience... you dont have to have the VSS wire installed to have nav working...

GPS is just a device that is in your car and it reads 6 satellites at a time to determine your speed. :roll:

I think that maybe many/all of the people that respond that there is little to no value in having VSS connected (yes, I know the 700 doesn't even offer that connection) have never used a good navigation system. The factory nav in my car has some advantages over the F700 because of the VSS signal and the built in gyros.

1. It still knows where you are when you are in a tunnel or the gps signal is otherwise lost.

2. When you start out, it know where your car is pointed before you start to move.