AVIC411.com

06 VW Jetta - Z1 power off problem

Just installed my May 06 Z1 in my 06 Jetta using: SCOVW03B Car Stereo Wiring harness and SCOVW2317B Car Stereo Install kit from cardomain.com. Both excellent products. Everything including Sirius and IPOD are working excellent. Just found the factory password for the bluetooth (1111).

Problem...the unit won't shut off. Wired it correctly. While holding the AV button in, the unit display is still on after the car is off and keys out of the iginition, and alarm set. I hold the "V" button in and the display turns off though the lower display buttons illumination is still on and the machine is making noise. As I don't want to drain the battery, I pull the factory radio fuse. Not sure if there is a certain amount of time after departing the vehicle that the VW's power completely turns off?? Or if the Pioneer Z1 unit takes awhile to cool down before shutting down??

:idea:

Problem...the unit won't shut off. Wired it correctly. While holding the AV button in, the unit display is still on after the car is off and keys out of the iginition, and alarm set. I hold the "V" button in and the display turns off though the lower display buttons illumination is still on and the machine is making noise.

Yah, you don't want to leave it in that mode. The Z1 is still on and it draws 1.5 - 2 amps at idle. It will drain your battery in just a few hours.

As I don't want to drain the battery, I pull the factory radio fuse. Not sure if there is a certain amount of time after departing the vehicle that the VW's power completely turns off?? Or if the Pioneer Z1 unit takes awhile to cool down before shutting down??

:idea:

Good idea... for now. The Z1 will turn off immediately and there is no cool down time. It should should off immediately.

Problem...the unit won't shut off. Wired it correctly.

You say so, but you either didn't wire it correctly or the instructions you got with your harness are wrong. Either way you didn't wire it correctly. You might have wired it as the instructions from your harness said, but they could be wrong. I don't have any experience with that harness or that company.

The yellow wire from the Z1 needs to be connected to battery positive. The red wire needs to be connected to switched 12V. When the red wire sees 12V it will power up the unit and draw power from the yellow wire. If the red wire goes to 0V when you turn off the key then the unit will shut itself down.

It sounds like the red wire from the Z1 is connected to something that has power that never goes away.

Check the yellow wire and the red wire on a volt meter. They might be reversed (I have no idea what that would do to your Z1, it could be bad or could operate like this). But either way, it sounds like the red wire from the z1 never goes to 0V. Check those 2 wires. I'm thinking you did not wire one or both of those wires correctly.

Thankyou for the insight. Time to take the unit out...I was thinking the same concerning the wiring directions for the wire harness as it is for 2002 and up. Perfect fit for coupling together with the factory harness. There is a wire diagram on the factory radio, plus I have the Bentley service manual to follow.

After checking the ignition and battery wires on the 06 Jetta, both power wires were constant on and there was no illumination lead in the factory harness.

I ran a new wire to the fuse block for the ignition lead and another wire to the light switch for the illumination lead. The Z1 now recognizes the light flash at start up, allowing the use of all functions. The system also now turns off when the ignition is turned off.

Every car manufacturer keeps power going to the radio. It's the yellow wire that gives a constant 12v to the radio for memory purposes, like keeping the time correct. He must have wired that into the ignition wire if it won't go off. Try and see if that helped. The ignition wire should be the red wire, which gives 12volts when the car is on and 0v when the car is off.

Every car manufacturer keeps power going to the radio. It's the yellow wire that gives a constant 12v to the radio for memory purposes, like keeping the time correct. He must have wired that into the ignition wire if it won't go off. Try and see if that helped. The ignition wire should be the red wire, which gives 12volts when the car is on and 0v when the car is off.

New vws don't use a standard 12v trigger to turn on the radio. It's a data line like gm and chryslet like to use. In the case of vws you can either use an interface or run an accy lead to either the fuse box or the ignition harness.

And if you ever decide you don't want to manually flash your headlights, feel free to purchase one of my circuits: http://www.sminntech.com/z1flasher.html

Just received the Flash circuit in the mail today. The one with the white dot and four wires. I want to hook up the radio so as to be able to have the ability to turn off the auto flash feature for that one time I have to prove to Mr. policeman on the spot, the DVD wasn't on. With my VW, I believe I have to use the power antenna or amp pre-out wire to send the signal to the FC to turn it on. Can I put a switch in-between the radio and FC on this wire to have the option of turning it on or off? Also, would I have to switch the brake lead to ground for the DVD to work in the parked position without flashing the unit? Thanx.

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... ight=relay

If you read along that post, towards the end he explains what would have to be done to disable his flasher circuit. I also posted a setup that should allow the flasher to work or normal operation. though I haven't actually built it to see if it would work properly.

Ok, I wrote up a instruction page for people who want to have the lockouts back on a temporary basis.

http://www.sminntech.com/z1fcinstall4.html

I will try to write up something that will have a switch to remove the flasher circuit entirely. You can just put a toggle switch on the red wire of my circuit but then the Z1 won't react to the headlights (dim or night mode) and there will be no way to get to the locked out functions. I'll try to write something up and post it too.