AVIC411.com

Here's my question...

The movies will always have to be put in the seperate dvd player. If its a pioneer dvd player, it will show up as a source in the menu and you can control it through the head unit. If its someone elses, you will need to run it through the A/V input and it will show up as A/V, but you will need a remote or something to control it with because you won't be able to do anything from the touchscreen

Too expensive. Get yourself a Vantec AVOX Media Jukebox and a 120GB laptop harddrive like I did :) Do a search and save some bucks. Get double the storage of an iPod and no need for silly iTunes either. Avox can also play Divx movies straight up, no need to convert.

before i give you a stfu, I will assume your NOT being insulting by telling me to re-read. As I have read it, I am trying to suggest an alternative to loosing your control features by connecting the ipod to something external.

I understand it isnt about music. but why would you want to Loose control, wouldnt you want to gain it? You CAN control the music on the ipod from the avic with the addon. So looking for a device that would allow video playback to be integrated into the unit if even just by the a/v jacks would be nice (without) loosing the addon's control. But thinking back now, I believe the avic takes over the ipod and displays a "do not disconnect" or something which prevents you from on the fly switching to video and playing it through said a/v jacks. One would have to unplug the ipod and loose the charging capability while playing video, but a charger isnt nearly as expensive as the $50 price tag that the roadshow cables boast. Though the roadshow cables look pretty slick.

Too expensive. Get yourself a Vantec AVOX Media Jukebox and a 120GB laptop harddrive like I did :) Do a search and save some bucks. Get double the storage of an iPod and no need for silly iTunes either. Avox can also play Divx movies straight up, no need to convert.

This idea is NOT too expensive for me ... it is a $15 idea, because I already own an iPod.

I believe there was a post on here somewhere that mentioned a pretty simple way to modify your Pioneer ipod adaptor so that you still keep the ability to use the controls on your ipod. That would solve that part of the problem

before i give you a stfu, I will assume your NOT being insulting by telling me to re-read. As I have read it, I am trying to suggest an alternative to loosing your control features by connecting the ipod to something external.

I understand it isnt about music. but why would you want to Loose control, wouldnt you want to gain it? You CAN control the music on the ipod from the avic with the addon. So looking for a device that would allow video playback to be integrated into the unit if even just by the a/v jacks would be nice (without) loosing the addon's control. But thinking back now, I believe the avic takes over the ipod and displays a "do not disconnect" or something which prevents you from on the fly switching to video and playing it through said a/v jacks. One would have to unplug the ipod and loose the charging capability while playing video, but a charger isnt nearly as expensive as the $50 price tag that the roadshow cables boast. Though the roadshow cables look pretty slick.

Found it:

Copied this from the ipod section. Would seem to solve the control problem

For those of you who bought the Pioneer Ipod adapter and want control back of your Ipod when connected to the in car system, here is how you do it with out having to disconnect the Ipod from the dock connector to pick your music.

It will of course invalidate your warranty on the adapter but you will have control. Open up the Ipod adapter box, just two Phillips screws, you should see a connector that has all the wires going to it from the white cables coming into the box from the Ipod. Carefully pull the connector upwards to disconnect it. In the middle there should be a blue wire, lift the little peg that holds the very small socket that the blue wire is connected to and it should now just pull out. Put a bit of electrical tape around it to stop it touching any thing and put the top back on the box. Of course you do this with the power off and pull the power connecter out of the Ipod adapter.

After reconnecting it all, you should now have full control of your Ipod to pick your music. The down side is you loose the auto stop and start when you turn the car ignition on and off.