AVIC411.com

Model after July Hack problems

Ok so I attached the parking brake and the secret wire to ground and at fist the system worked fine. Then I came to realize that it was intermiten. Is there something else I need to do with the newer model Z1 so the system is bypassed everytime? My truck has auto lights. Not sure if that's a problem or not. Anyway can someone help please? Its really frustrating getting in and driving and having the system work sometimes and not others.

No there is nothing else to do. Lights of any kind don't matter with the new units.

Just double check the Z1 manufacture date.

And you will need to double check the ground on the connector 2 location. I would guess that's not shoved in all the way or some other reason for not making good contact.

If the parking brake is grounded, at first the system will work fine. But as the Z1 learns about motion and gps data and so on, it will rely on it's motion sensors and gps to know it's moving and lock you out. The wire in connector 2 will stop it from checking those.

I'm not sure what you did, how you grounded that "secret" wire in connector 2... but I would guess your problem is with that wire... either in the connector or where you grounded it. I'm thinking the connection is intermittent in the connector itself. It's just my guess. When you hit a bump and it ungrounds itself it will lock you back out. You might want to pull out the wire from the location in connector 2, find the metal that would make contact with the pin in the Z1 and give it a little flex to make sure it's making good contact. Just an idea. But focus on the wire in connector 2. http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html I'm guessing it's in there.

This may sound trivial, but did you reset the unit after hooking up all those wires?

That was only important with the old pre July 06 units I believe. It certainly doesn't hurt it to reset it. With the newer units I think that the reset and bypass is only for getting rid of the parking brake pop up message but if the second wire is grounded it will still bypass it. I believe I tested that back in August... I could have remembered wrong.

But with the older units, the flashing will sometimes not work at all if you don't reset the unit (if you traveled around with the parking brake on).

I distinctly remember having to reset my head unit every time that "extra wire" is removed. Its a July unit and it never bypassed until I reset it.

Good to know, thanks! I could have swore that I checked for that.

And for anyone reading this...

Resetting this is with the recessed button to the right of the Eject button.