AVIC411.com

AVIC-D1 vs AVIC-D2

[quote name="whtcrxghst"]Those are the disks that come in the D2 and N3. You can purchase them from Pioneer. Or there are usually quite a few on ebay, real and copies[/quote]

So if my local shop has any D2 or N3 units they might have the CDs and I could just borrow a copy for install purposes, right?!

I have the new Nav1.2 discs .. those do NOT upgrade the same stuff, do they? I know they did some updates, but the updates you speak of are more powerful/different, correct?
Okay so I found out my shop doesnt have the CDs in stock, and of course they retail for $250 new ... but I am a bit unclear. I decided to call Pioneer tech support and spoke to a girl who didnt see the brightest..

From what she told me, the only changes were to the e-brake / video in motion. Otherwise, my v1.2 NAV discs have the same map updates and changes. When I put my v1.2 NAV discs in, there were 2 updates installed.

She did NOT indicate any other AVIC-D2 changes would occur if I got the $250 DVD set ... can anyone verify this? I cant justify spending $250 for nothing... is it worth it? What else do you get?!
The 60 disks are one year newer, so as you might have guessed, they have made upgrades to the mapping in that year (more of the country is covered.) They also added lane information in certain cities and more cities now have detailed metro mapping.

[quote name="Shaka"]Okay so I found out my shop doesnt have the CDs in stock, and of course they retail for $250 new ... but I am a bit unclear. I decided to call Pioneer tech support and spoke to a girl who didnt see the brightest..

From what she told me, the only changes were to the e-brake / video in motion. Otherwise, my v1.2 NAV discs have the same map updates and changes. When I put my v1.2 NAV discs in, there were 2 updates installed.

She did NOT indicate any other AVIC-D2 changes would occur if I got the $250 DVD set ... can anyone verify this? I cant justify spending $250 for nothing... is it worth it? What else do you get?![/quote]
[quote name="whtcrxghst"]The 60 disks are one year newer, so as you might have guessed, they have made upgrades to the mapping in that year (more of the country is covered.) They also added lane information in certain cities and more cities now have detailed metro mapping.[/quote]

Thats really odd that they would charge $250 for that and yet give the v1.2 NAV discs out for free. Yes I realize they need to cover the costs for the extra work that went into the new maps, but at the same time, that is what they are doing selling the D3/N3/Z1 units.

I've found a few guys on eBay selling, one is as cheap as $30 total shipped for copies of the 60 disks -- and I could care less about not having originals. $30 vs $250 is a big difference ... wish me luck!!
They usually send out free updates to the software of the same type that came with your system. Did it on the n1 twice to fix bugs. Same on the D1, like fixing the fact that the clock was always in military time on the A/V sources, but correct on the navi screen. I have seen "real" 60 series disks on ebay as low as $50 each. Some people realize they are never going to use the east coast if they live on the west, or vise versa, and sell off the unused one.

[quote name="Shaka"]

Thats really odd that they would charge $250 for that and yet give the v1.2 NAV discs out for free. Yes I realize they need to cover the costs for the extra work that went into the new maps, but at the same time, that is what they are doing selling the D3/N3/Z1 units.

I've found a few guys on eBay selling, one is as cheap as $30 total shipped for copies of the 60 disks -- and I could care less about not having originals. $30 vs $250 is a big difference ... wish me luck!![/quote]
Guest adamhicks
Cause I have a 2 year old in center car seat of my 07 Toyota FJ who would be p!ssed :)

Otherwise I'd like to try it since some areas around me aren't on the 1.2 version of the Nav map for D1.

Thanks!