AVIC411.com

for you SIRIUS owners...

i know the D-2 wants us to choose XM, but im leaning towards sirius

i've never had satellite radio so im completely clueless of how the process works...i went on the sirius website and im seeing that i have to order one of their radio faceplates...i was wondering, can we use our D2 as the satellite player or we have to go through their radio??

im considering buying sirius today...so what do i need to actually purchase? i know about the $13/month subscription, but as far as sirius products..??

once again, limited display?? this sucks...i got the pioneer ipod adaptor, same result: limited display..:(

can someone that already has SIR-PNR2 tell me what LIMITED MEANS>

in reality i just wanna have like 15-20 favorites and to have the artist/name of the song on the d2 monitor...i dont need to surf all the channels of BS...can I at least do that?

once again, limited display?? this sucks...i got the pioneer ipod adaptor, same result: limited display..:(

can someone that already has SIR-PNR2 tell me what LIMITED MEANS>

in reality i just wanna have like 15-20 favorites and to have the artist/name of the song on the d2 monitor...i dont need to surf all the channels of BS...can I at least do that?

Ok, you can store up to 18 presets which I don't think is any different than the XM module. I, like you, don't need enhanced surfing as I just pick my favorite channels and store them as presets. You can display channel number OR channel name OR artist name OR song name but only one can be displayed at a time. And to get the display to cycle through channel number / name / artist / song you have to go to the function menu and change a function number (i.e. function2 if i recall correctly), which doesn't have a name, and know that you are switching the display. It's very cumbersome and retarded IMO and for that reason I just leave it displaying the artist name. In fact, the Sirius graphic user interface sucks so bad that I never leave it on the AV screen unless I'm switching channels or unless I want to see the name of the artist that is playing.

If XM hadn't of cancelled the channel I listen to most often (which Sirius actually still offers on their service) I would definately be using XM right now.

I think that Sirius is a better satellite radio service. I think it sucks that Pioneer sold out to XM...they should have been like Alpine. Alpine units can take either with equal control and PLUS Alpine Navi's take Sirius NavTraffic. I just wish Pioneer did that so I wouldn't have to put in the XM and the Sirius tuners, but not to worry I still love Pioneer at the end of the day and thats what I bought. Anyways, Sirius wins with better music programming, Howard Stern and better sports coverage. XM on the other hand has Oprah and Opie and Anthony who sucked so badly they have to simulcast on Terrestrial sucky radio. And I am not just blabbing. My father has XM in his new Acura TL so I know. I wish I could comment more on the SIR-PNR2 but I don't own it. However, reading the manual from your D2 should give you a very good idea of what to expect!

in the words of cntrylvr merry xmas

thanks everyone for your inputs...if it gives me the ability to store 18 presets + i can see the song on the screen, that's all i can ask for

in reality i will be driving, not sitting there and searching sirius while on the freways....i guess im satisfied

Yeah, you will be satisfied then. Besides, we bought these units for navigation anyway and that's what I'm looking at while I'm driving.

I've had Sirius for a couple years now and after having the aftermarket kits that send the signal through the airwaves, the Pioneer adaptor options are far greater. Just wish Pioneer would have an interface to hook the factory satellite antennas to their radio to free the dash of extra antennas.

Also, the pioneer IPOD adaptor is like night and day to the Dice interface for factory radios. The Dice interface was far better than FM Transmission, though now I can search by playlist, artist, genres, etc.. No more 60 gig video IPOD mounted next to my radio, its locked in the glovebox.

I'm getting ready to list my Dice I-VW-R IPOD interface with satellite bypass, cradle w/video out, and mounting bracket for 06 VW factory radios. I paid $258 for the pieces and would like to get $150 for the package.

Howard Stern

Ahh my friend from the east, you just made my bad list :( I dont think one should exploit their love of Howard Stern to say Sirius is the best out there. Its all personal choice. I do occassionally listen to O&A, but I grew to dislike them. Ron & Fez, on the other hand, have true talent :) Besides, it is well known that when O&A went to XM, Howard publically stated on FreeFM that satellite radio is for washed-up radio has-been personalities LOL Now where is he? Oh yea, he invented satellite radio Hoo Hoo Tell' em Fred. Right Ro-byn?

I don't like Sirius because of their DJ's. Too much DJ interaction for me. Made me feel like I was listening to FM Radio. Also, it is known that Siri utilizes a shorter playlist of songs than XM, to rotate the popular songs more, but the same song would be heard on Siri more frequently. (I think I read on a Sirius message board that Siri on average has a rotation of 400-600 songs per channel per week that can be played, where as XM utilizes a playlist on average of 800-1000 songs per week).

apercele79, I suggest you try the 3 day free online radios for each sattellite provider ( http://listen.xmradio.com ) and see which one you might like better. No harm in listening online for free ;)

• 1 month later...

well, in the meantime i upgraded from the D2 to the Z1 and now i really want sirius satellite....my wife got me for x-mas the whole sirius kit with a detachable faceplate and the whole 9 yards....

will the SIR-PNR2 be enough for full functioning? b/c if i can get away with just the SIR-PNR2 for 80 bucks, i will let my wife use her own present

and since the adapter seems to be just a plain white box, where is the actual antenna? excuse the stupid questions but i never really dealt with satellite radio before...

thanks fellas

so how do i actually connect to sirius once I have the adaptor?

i read on the SIRIUS website that we need

The ID/ESN number from your SIRIUS receiver.

A major credit card.

Have your SIRIUS tuner installed with the antenna facing skyward.

Turn your SIRIUS tuner on and tune it to channel 184.

where do we get this ESN number from, if we don't have a sirius faceplate?