AVIC411.com

Things I miss from my older Z-series

I had a Z2 before, upgraded to the Z3 software.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the Z110BT, but there are a few things I do miss from the older unit:

The voice setup. I much preferred the older way of doing it, mixing the prerecorded voice with the TTS voice just to say specific street names. On the Z110BT, you choose either prerecorded only, or TTS where the "computer voice" says everything.

No more vehicle dynamics.

No more split-screen map (I liked the 3D split view with the small side zoomed out and always facing N on longer trips).

No more mute button. Okay, seriously, who thought this one up? Now if I want to mute the voice, I have to hit the shortcut button, volume button, mute button, and then press something to drop back to the map. Please tell me I'm missing a quicker way!

Turn arrows. I like the idea of hiding the (huge) arrow until you get close to a turn to let you see more of the map. The problem is, the way it's implemented, I frequently don't get the arrow until 1/4 mi before a turn. In downtown areas, 1/4 mile isn't a lot of time to switch across several lanes of traffic. I wish there were either an option to have the arrow always on, or some way to display a smaller arrow up by the street name until you're close to the intersection.

A/V screen has pages. I have to flip to the second page to use XM, meanwhile there are grayed out choices on the first page. And yes, I realize I can use the shortcut page rather than the regular menu, but if you add all your AV sources to the shortcut page, it gets very cluttered very quickly.

No more town/city name. On the Z1/2/3, it showed the town/city name next to the current street name at the bottom of the screen. I miss that, and don't see any way to display that on the Z110BT.

Keyboard. I liked the way the Z1/2/3 grayed out keys as you were typing that weren't an option.

Locations can't have sounds. Not a huge deal, I really used them more as a joke than anything else, but it was a cool feature!

Again, don't misinterpret my post, I really do enjoy a lot of the new features of the Z110BT (and the screen is amazing). I just miss a few features of my old unit... :)

No more town/city name. On the Z1/2/3, it showed the town/city name next to the current street name at the bottom of the screen. I miss that, and don't see any way to display that on the Z110BT.

SETTINGS, MAP SETTINGS, DISPLAYED INFO, sixth option, CURRENT STREET NAME. This will also show the city name next to the street name while traveling.

Stiks they got rid of the Vehicle Dynamics screen.... As that's where my current Z2 turned Z3 stays during normal day to day cruising around the town...

It looks good, reads good to know info, and has the least amount of light for night time driving....

So far, from what I've read... and reason why I haven't pulled the trigger...

-no vehicle dynamics screen

-no IR or remote control ( I love having the voice command button on my steering wheel like I have my Z3 setup now) this is the major deal breaker for me

-16GB SDCard limitation (granted, I can just barely fill my 16GB Iphone) but at this day and age where you can get 32GB fairly cheaply, just doesn't make since...

Otherwise, they did listen to their customers about fixing things...

-Like button colors... I had to solder the stupid tiny LED's in my Z3's buttons (not much fun)

-quick/better IPod interface

-IPod video

-SD card > HDD (just makes sense in every way) way cheaper than SSD and much more durable than HDD on bumpy roads

-USB

Whao! Your kidding, right? No remote control capability on a $2,000 radio? I just had my Z1 stolen out of my truck today and was looking at getting the new Z. I use my remote all of the time. As a matter of fact that is really the only way I use my radio. I can't believe that Pioneer droped the ball on this. This sucks. Now I may have to look into another brand.

Yep, I miss the split screen 2D/3D map screen too. That's the only map view I ever really liked on my old Z2. Now I find myself flipping from one to the other trying to figure out which one I like more. I also wish you could select more than 10 POI overlays to be displayed on the map. I don't need 100 but there are probably 20 that I'd like to have displayed at all times.

I also find the two page A/V screen to be annoying. Hopefully they'll update this so that you can customize it like the shortcuts screen. I need to be able to move Sirius and HD to the front page. This is especially annoying because the AM/FM buttons are grayed out now that I have the HD receiver. Let me use those locations for stuff I actually have.

Having said that, the 110 blows away my old Z2. I was so disappointed in the iPod interface and lack of HD option that if the 110 hadn't fixed those issues I would have gone to another manufacturer. If Pioneer could iron out just a few wrinkles they would have the best navi on the market by a long shot. They may even have it now.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
You can mute the z110 by holding the voice command button on the front for a few seconds and then hold it again for a few seconds to unmute. Not the fastest but it's there.

This method mutes everything... I miss the shortcut (1 click) to mute the NAV directions voice. Now it takes 5 clicks to turn her voice off or back on...

Stiks they got rid of the Vehicle Dynamics screen.... As that's where my current Z2 turned Z3 stays during normal day to day cruising around the town...

It looks good, reads good to know info, and has the least amount of light for night time driving....

So far, from what I've read... and reason why I haven't pulled the trigger...

-no vehicle dynamics screen

-no IR or remote control ( I love having the voice command button on my steering wheel like I have my Z3 setup now) this is the major deal breaker for me

-16GB SDCard limitation (granted, I can just barely fill my 16GB Iphone) but at this day and age where you can get 32GB fairly cheaply, just doesn't make since...

Otherwise, they did listen to their customers about fixing things...

-Like button colors... I had to solder the stupid tiny LED's in my Z3's buttons (not much fun)

-quick/better IPod interface

-IPod video

-SD card > HDD (just makes sense in every way) way cheaper than SSD and much more durable than HDD on bumpy roads

-USB

This doesnt apply, the 2500 file limit is the limiting factor from my findings.