AVIC411.com

Greyed out buttons (Ducati or AVIC issue?)

I have a unit made before June 06 (think it is May but definetly before June). I have read alot of posts about greyed out buttons and the the tests to do on Ducati Boys website. The unit is on a '94 Corvette.

The problem is I only get full access to the menu buttons if I turn the ignition on and let the AVIC start up, then turn the key all the way to start the car. The buttons will remain accessible while driving.

If I start the car immedietly those buttons are greyed out and remain greyed out even after coming to a stop. I am 99.9% sure I have the ducati circuit hooked up right. The day/night mode works with the headlights turned on/off. The green parking brake wire is removed from the connector all together, also the speaker connector wires are removed from the connector. I have driven about 1500 miles so it is well calibrated.

If the day/night mode works the circuit should be working fine. The other suggestion I found was that the 12V red lead may be hooked to the 12V continous power....but this doesnt explain to me why I would have to wait for the unit to start up before I crank the ignition all the way to start the car. I also reset the unit from the resest button on the front panel with no change.

Any ideas?

Does your circuit have a little white dot on it? If you don't remember when you got it, check the email I sent you when you bought it. Or tell me when you bought it, I keep some records.

Thanks for the detailed description... If the day/night mode is working the circuit is functioning. I just have to think about this a little more to figure out what is happening.

The problem is I only get full access to the menu buttons if I turn the ignition on and let the AVIC start up, then turn the key all the way to start the car. The buttons will remain accessible while driving.

One question, when you turn the key on and don't start the engine... it boots up and the unit is bypassed....

When you start the engine, does the Z1 reboot?

If I start the car immedietly those buttons are greyed out and remain greyed out even after coming to a stop.

Yah, if the parking brake wire is not hooked up and the bypass isn't bypassing then that will happen.

The green parking brake wire is removed from the connector all together,

I was under the impression you were supposed to ground the parking brake wire. I know this is true for July+ units, however not sure about the earlier ones.

Not the earlier ones, no parking brake sense wire on the earlier ones. It needs to NOT be connected to the parking brake or ground.

One question, when you turn the key on and don't start the engine... it boots up and the unit is bypassed....

When you start the engine, does the Z1 reboot?

If I let the unit boot up then start the engine it does reboot itself.... also I bought the circuit on July 8 and do not remember seeing a white dot on it.

A few more things I noticed... I have to crank the engine at the Pioneer start up screen to get the buttons active. If I wait until the unit completely boots up and get to the map menu for example, then crank the engine (and the unit reboots) those buttons are greyed out.

The parking brake is always off when I go to the hardware connections menu if the other buttons are active or not.

What is happening is that your Z1 is resetting and my flasher circuit should reset and it's not for some reason. The voltage drops out on the switched 12V line when you crank the engine, but in your particular car it's dropping far enough to reset the Z1 but not far enough to reset my circuit. So the timing between the 2 are off. I have seen this in a very small collection of vehicles and I can't trace it down to anything specific. But that's why I made a change to my software.

You installed it like this:

http://www.sminntech.com/z1fcinstall.html

The circuits with white dots can now be installed

http://www.sminntech.com/z1fcinstall2.html

Contact me here:

http://www.sminntech.com/contact.html

With your info (name address etc) and I'll send you one of the newer ones, if you hook it up like

http://www.sminntech.com/z1fcinstall2.html

You won't have a problem anymore and it will be 100%.

• 7 months later...

I had the Z2 installed yesterday, but today I noticed that most of the buttons are greyed out. I have connected BT and back up camera. I can't even get in to set the clock.

Most maps work, and the camera works fine. However, I am not able to connect my phone. The panel is greyed out.

Any ideas?

Thanks