AVIC411.com

Cant get the damn pin out!

Can someone please explain this better. I've seen you're supposed to stick something like a staple into the smaller of the two holes, but thats where the explanation stopped.

Are you supposed to pry one way or another? I've installed several Pioneer navi units, but it was all on ones with the little tab that you can lift up from the outside of the harness and pull out...much easier!

-Cody

There is a locking tab that goes all the way across the the plug, bottom or top, I don't remember. I just simply lifted that up with a pick tool, and the wire pulled right out. Snap the locking tab back into place, and the pin slides right the pin position next to it.

This is what I did, worked really quick

• 1 month later...

You don't necessary need to 'remove the MUTE wire" for this to work, you can add a wire to it instead of giving up the mute wire or having a hard time removing it! I have used a small solid strand wire or even a connector from other equipment using the same pin and inserted it and works... seems a lot of ppl here think 'it MUST be the MUTE wire that you have to remove and move over! :lol:

Its just common to use the "mute" wire cuz most ppl dont use it so why not use it for this - but in many of my installs I just insert another wire to it! So much easier! :P

You don't necessary need to 'remove the MUTE wire" for this to work, you can add a wire to it instead of giving up the mute wire or having a hard time removing it! I have used a small solid strand wire or even a connector from other equipment using the same pin and inserted it and works... seems a lot of ppl here think 'it MUST be the MUTE wire that you have to remove and move over! :lol:

Its just common to use the "mute" wire cuz most ppl dont use it so why not use it for this - but in many of my installs I just insert another wire to it! So much easier! :P

I couldnt get the pin out either, so I used some of the excess VSS wire to do exactly what you say above... I passed the wire in untwisted, and used some insulation as a wedge to keep the wire in and a jewlers screwdriver to jam it in very tight. Then I used a pushpin to make a path for the pin from the headunit between the copper strands. Worked perfect, and my wife stills get to use the mute function to yell at the kids :)