AVIC411.com

NEED HELP ANY IDEAS

Need help with my f900 its been hooked up for months now and no problems and the other day was coming down the express way when it started to shut off and restart randomly. the radio will play for bout a minute sometime shut off and come back on for like ten seconds etc. and i just pulled out the unit and checked the acc and batt wires reconnected them and all anyone have an idea what could be wrong or what i should do ? thanks

Did you update it recently? Some other threads reported F900 reboot issues related to incorrect/failed update. Have a look here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=26691&start=0&hilit=f900+reboot

If you didn't do anything software-wise with it and its doing it also when car is stationary and off without anything moving, it might be an internal power supply hardware failure.

If this is still happening and you can't figure out the problem, you could hook up a meter to the power and ground wires and watch it carefully while driving, that's not easy to do since it happens randomly. You could invest in a logging meter such as the FieldPiece DL3 and voltage head($200), to isolate the problem external to the AVIC by driver safe monitoring(logging) of the power going into the AVIC. You MUST tap the AVIC harness wires, this can be done with "needle bed" piercing clips, close to the black connector, but make sure the clips don't short out to each other.

• 1 month later...

the VSS (speed pulse) wire not being connected would not cause an issue, I ran mine for over a month without it connected. The VSS only enhances the system mostly if the GPS signal is lost in a tunnel, between buildings etc, it is not a required hookup.

The only thing that MIGHT cause an issue with the VSS wire (or any other unused wire) is if some of the wire is exposed and it is touching bare metal or ground in the vehicle which may cause a short.