AVIC411.com

Whats happenin guys!!

Well I live in Canada eh! I've had my Z1 for just over 2 weeks now eh. As I'm finding out the features sure are limited up here but whatever I love the unit still. It was "professionally" installed... ya right, I wish I woulda found this site before I decided to have it installed instead of doin it myself. First off, the installers destroyed my drivers side mirror on my new truck ('06 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax) pulling it into the shop the ass end slid over (there was snow on the ground eh) and crushed the mirror between the truck and the door... great start! The first thing I noticed is how my steering wheel controls didnt work correctly, volume worked fine, but seek seemed to have a different function for every source. Then my XM wasnt showing the station icons. The XM issue was due to the wrong XM module installed (it was the XM specific one instead of the Pioneer specific one) finally it went in to get that switched out. Also my Z1's an AUG. model and once I learned about the new bypass I asked my installer to ground the connecter 2 wire then I'd to the e-brake one myself so he had no legal issues. When I got my truck back the installer told me he tried to ground both the wires and it still didnt work so he did the rear monitor to the back up camera trick... now none of the Nav works... I couldnt even get the clock to show the time. I checked the connections status and everything says NOK! Its now been like this for almost a week as I havnt had time to get it back into the shop. Over this week I've noticed every now and then when I start the truck the nav WILL make a connection but only long enough to show where I am then it instantly freezes, everything else seems to work but the nav's right froze up, even the clock freezes on the time that it made the connection.

Anyone have any ideas as to what to tell the installer so maybe he can make it work finally. Supposedly its a certified installer, sure dosnt seem like it, even the install position is pretty scabby (way off to one side)!

Any suggestions would help...

Awsome site by the way, good work guys!

Sounds like you need a vacation, buddy! Weather is beautiful in Fort Lauderdale right now, and I happen to know for sure there is a GREAT installer in town....... :wink: . Enough with the shameless self-promo, I'm sure that somewhere on this forum, you can find an educated and competent installer that would be more than happy to straighten things out for you.

Fort Lauderdale eh... sounds nice!

I have a bit of installing experience but with older vehicles. My trucks got onstar, XM and the stock BOSE system... I'm hookin up the XM, bluetooth, voice recognition and keeping the stock speaker set up for now. If someone could post some specific install instructions for me I'll do it all myself. And how to set up the steering wheel controls I have the "Peripheral PESWIX Universal Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface"

Everythings been a nightmare since I got this thing... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Skeetdog,

I have 2004 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax and I installed the Z1 with the Peripheral modules for Onstar and Bose and the steering wheel control you are using and the Bluetooth module and I have no installation experience at all.

If you have all the manuals that came with the Peripheral parts (if not you can get them of there website) I would recommend that you remove the unit and reinstall it yourself, or at least verify all the wires. If the volume works on you steering wheel then the PESWIX is hooked to the correct wire, just programmed improperly. Read the program instructions a couple times and you will see how easy it is to reprogram. I recommend programming the "down" source button on your steering wheel to be your "mute" button, it comes in really handy.

If you care to see how easy it is to get the unit out of the dash just follow these steps and you may realize you can take it from there.

1. Lower your steering wheel all the way.

2. Grasp the plastic dash bezel just above the air vent to the right of your radio and give it a good tug. It should pop of with not problem.

3. Continue pulling the entire bezel off around the instrument panel. You may need to turn the truck to Acc On with the keys and lower the shift handle. I recommend applying your parking brake first.

4. Once the bezel is removed, you will see hex screws on each side of the Z1, remove the screws and the unit will pull right out.

5. To give you more room you may want to remove the thermostat control panel below the unit.

The only wire that I ran into giving me a problem was the illumination wire. Some reason the illume wire that is for the stock radio does not work. You will have to tap into the wire behind the headlight switch. If your unit already dims properly then you will not have to worry about it. Search “Silverado install pics†on this site, great post with some good pictures.

To find the speed sense wire remove the instrument cluster, 4 screws if I remember correctly, and tap into the recommend wire (not sure which one, you can find that on this site as well).

Hope this helps, sorry to hear about the mirror.

Yeah man, it's not really all that hard. Will you need your truck every day? If so, you may have to put up with a big hole in your dash for a while. Do the pigtails, then put the Z1 in last; don't stuff it in then yank it out 20 times just to check something- wouldn't want to damage that screen or something. You have a popular truck; I put mine in an 03 Kia Sorento. The speakers and amps took longer than the Z1 install!

shitty deal man, i just moved to dawson creek and havent really heard of any decent install shops myself worthwhile and was starting to think i should start my own, 3 years exp only tho but I come to GP for work and maybe one night i can give you a hand. Its hard to find decent installers that arent butchers now a days. on a side note tho i have been known to break a mirror or two and maybe a dash clip here and there....comes with the territory.